Sichuan's Wuliangye
四川五粮液,
Anhui's Gujinggong
安徽古井贡,
Sichuan's Luzhou Liaojiao
四川泸州老窖
Jiangsu's Yanghe Daqu
江苏永和大曲.
these are some of most famous Chinese wine brands, have you tried some? ^@^, how does it taste? oh, dot forget the most classical 二锅头Erguotou.

Aug 30, 2006 10:32
  • MISHEN
I always felt that Chinese spirits were too often reeking with something that smelt like petrol and window cleaner - but when I first tried Moutai, I had to admit - that's a smooth tipple.
Aug 31, 2006 09:37
  • JABAROOTOO
Takes my breath away, even the smoothest Maotai but it sure does wam you up on a cold day. Too rugged for me.
Aug 31, 2006 20:27
  • CONNY129
Beer or red wine are both ok to me ,but white wine .... NO
Aug 31, 2006 20:30
  • CALIFORNIA
I prefer beer to wine:-)

But like a mongolian wine named "Meng Gu Wang"!!!
Sep 2, 2006 00:06
  • APAULT

A caution for newcomers, if you are offered 'white wine' be careful as it is probably not wine at all but a spirit from 40% alcohol upwards, called Baijiu.

Sorry but my advice to visitors is not to buy Chinese wine... it is not up to international standard. Except that down here in the south it seems it is often substituted for baijiu so after countless 'ganbai's you are not totally plastered!

Sep 3, 2006 11:32
  • SHAWN
I like the beer, but sometimes I also drink some white wine, I thought Wuliangye is the best Chinese white wine.
Sep 4, 2006 01:57
  • TEKNOMED
I will be very surprised if non Chinese like any of the above so call "White Wine". I have tried Maotai and Wuliangye. It tastes okay especially when your Chinese host mix it with Pop Soda like Sprite but be aware. It kicks like a mule. On checking the bottle it is above 50% alcohol. The Wulingye I had was 65% proof. Never "kan bei" with any Chinese "white wine" unless alcohol does not affect you.
Sep 4, 2006 04:13
  • PINETREE
In China there are many types of alcohol but mainly of malt, barley, rice, wheat,etc - not grapes. China don't have grapes esp sour ones - except in Xinjiang.
Thus grape wine as the westerners term it are normally not found in China except in recent times some western wines out of grapes are produced in the Qingdao region.
So let's not confused yourself or feel "cheated" because of the ignorance of the local scene/background. If u wanna western-style grape white wines, ask for "bai putao jiu". If u don't know how to & got normal Chinese "baijiu" instead, just blame yourself.
Of cos, there are imitations going around as well. But learn the basic first.
Post a Reply to: Drink, Drunk
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code