Menu
first time backpacker (out of Australia)
Sep 13, 2006 10:35
  • RED101AU
hi all
i am looking to go to nanning and have absolutely no idea where to start to go about it
looking for a schedule for Adelaide to Nanning that i can follow as a guide like cheapest airfares/times to travel and best way to go about getting there
Sep 13, 2006 19:25
  • YINMEI
Hi mate,

I think first you can take plane from Adelaide to HongKong,then tranferring flight from HK to Nanning.Meanwhile you can take a bus from HK to Guiling then tranferrin train to Nanning as well,it is cheaper. afterwards you may take train to Chongqing then transfer cruise ship down the Yangtze river to tour three gorges and new dam.Please reach yahoo.com.cn|jimmy_yj88

Cheers!
Sep 14, 2006 03:37
  • MAY001
Hi,
Is Nanning the only destination of your China travel? Maybe you can also go to Guilin, Yangshuo, Beihai, etc.
Sep 14, 2006 10:15
  • JABAROOTOO
Gidday Red,
Nanning is an odd place to start but you must have your reasons. If you are backpacking I guess you have a LP or something similar. Don't come without one!

Before you leave, check that your Debit Cards are for overseas use i.e Cirus PLus then you will have no money worries here. Credit cards not much use unless staying up market hotels and some airport services.

Getting here -Check with agents and online about flights to HongKong, Guangzhou or Shenzhen.
If you fly to HK it is probably cheaper to transfer to Mainland China and buy domestic tickets when you arrive hence my suggestion to arrive via Guangzhou or Shenzhen preferably Guangzhouas it is the laargest transit airport in the south with more flights ina dn out to most destinations. There is shuttle bus from HK airport to Guangzhou and shenzhen airports. Next check how many flights daily from either of those to Nanning. Use ICON on top right of this window and follow prompts. It's pretty easy. Prices quoted there will often be discounted as much as 50% depending on the time of year and time of day.

You can usually get a same day flight out of either of those cities if you get in before or around lunchtime. Airports all have shuttle buses to downtown and in Nanning it arrives at a Hotel where you could probably spend your first night if you have no other options. Also close to Railway station. Nanning is pretty compact around the station and the airport shuttle depot so and there will be plenty of cheap hotel options nearby. Nanning is an easy city to getaround in and it's shuttle depot.

If you google Nanning I'm pretty sure you'll find an English website where you can also get some more useful information and some contacts if that is where you plan to spend any length of time.

Find a good map and study it a little before you leave so you have some idea of the size of the country. you can check train schedules and prices thru this site too using the 'search' ICON at the top. If need more info than keep asking but there is plenty of good stuff here if you've the common sense and time to search it out.

Good Luck
Sep 14, 2006 10:29
  • JABAROOTOO
Ignore the mess at the end where it reads 'it's shuttle depot' I wondered what happened to that sentence then typed it again.

You could also take the bus from Guangzhou or Shenzhen. From Shenzhen maybe easier as the bus and train station are together at the LuoHu border crossing where you can take the train to from HK and is much cheaper thanall the other options by far.

First take a bus fom Shenzhen (departs around 9.00am) to Wuzhou on the border 6 hrs.(Railway hotel Shenzhen is reasonable if you choose this iption and convenient for catching the morning bus.

Loads of cheap hotels Near the bus station in Wuzhou and it's interesting little town to stopever they will transfer you to the West bus station before the bus is due to leave for Nanning. Buses leave every two hours and take 6 hours

I enjoy the buses for trips of this length or less and you can see quit a lot too. They will stop for meal and/rest depending on the schedule
Sep 14, 2006 10:43
  • JABAROOTOO
Just noticed a link/add for
Rob's Nanning website
the one I referred to earlier.

Bit of a marriage service centre but check it out
Sep 14, 2006 17:24
  • GERALDINE
Hi there
We found that Thai were the cheapest to fly with from NZ- stop in Sydney or Brisbane on way to Bangkok- you can now fly from Bangkok to Kunming direct- a good route with a much cheaper airfare!! Also gave us stopover in Thailand on the way back as part of the fare. Our return flight from NZ to Beijing via Bangkok was $400NZ cheaper than any we could get to Hong Kong.
Yes I agree Lonely Planet guide is a must have bible gives you great ideas on hotels and transport costs as well as local places of interest. Not a cheap book but worth it's weight in gold once you are there.
Have a great time.
Sep 15, 2006 09:03
  • APAULT
Yes an oddplace to start. Nanning is essentially an industrial town. I recently backpacked in and around Nanning and can offer some advice about the town and two nearby tourist attractions. I don't speak Chinese but have been in China a year and travelled quite a bit this summer... but I found Nanning and west of Nanning a bit more difficult than the east and deep south of China.

I am planning to write this up in TCG 'sometime' but if you want this info, send me a message and I will try to do it sooner rather than later.
Dec 1, 2011 14:31
GUESTMONBKQ I appreciate the useful figures you provide inside your posts. I will bookmark your site furthermore come back yet again here often. I'm entirely confident I'll be taught a lot of new things right here! Best of luck for the next!

Before I go, permit me thank you for your understanding with my English as (I'm confident you have become aware this at this time ,), English is not my number one language hence I am using Google Translate to figure out how to jot down what I sincerely have in mind to tell.
Dec 3, 2011 00:25
GUESTCONWFE I just added your page site to my blogroll, I pray you would give some thought to returning the favor.

Before I go, let me thank you for your tolerance with my English as (I am confident you have figured this at this time ,), English is not my main tongue as a result I am using Google Translate to shape out what to write what I truly have in mind to tell.
Dec 5, 2011 03:04
GUESTCONYVI Overwhelming Column, Thank you

Before I go, allow me thank you for your understanding with my English as (I am sure you have figured this by now,), English is not my mother language as a result I am utilizing Google Translate to build out how to write down what I really plan to say.
Post a Reply to: first time backpacker (out of Australia)
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code