Menu
Friend is getting married.
Sep 15, 2006 05:22
  • SOMEGUY
My Chinese friend is getting married next month and I know nothing about Chinese weddings. I just want to know what I should give as a present. I've been told a red envolope with money but how much should I give and also what I should wear?
And is there anything else I should know?
I know I can just ask other people these things but my friend said don't worry about any money and people never really tell me exactly whats going on so if theres something I should know it would be nice to know in advance.
Sep 15, 2006 06:13
  • LEMONCACTUS
Maybe you would want some of our Chinese friends to answer this one, but I can offer my experience.

I went to the wedding of a Chinese friend of mine a few months ago. I gave them a red envelope. I think it depends how good a friend she is, if just a normal friend, 100RMB is enough. If you are very good friends then obviously you can give more.

Apart from the bride and groom, Chinese weddings are pretty informal occasions. I really don't think there are any rules. No need to dress up as we would in the UK and the West in general I guess... I just went in casual clothes and all the other guests were casually dressed.

Chinese weddings are great fun and very different from Western ones. Have fun :)
Sep 15, 2006 08:39
  • APAULT
Remember that the wedding is not a wedding in the western sense. It is a wedding ceremony. The couple will already have married at the government office, usually a few days before. One friend of mine and his wife had their ceremony a few months after the signing of the papers. They lived as a couple from the time of teh signing.

Sep 17, 2006 21:16
  • LOVEISVERB
Lemoncactus and Apault are quite experienced:D
Post a Reply to: Friend is getting married.
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code