Menu
What waist & shoe size makes you hard to fit?
Sep 18, 2006 17:41
  • GRIZ326
I've heard people say they cannot find clothes to fit them in China....

At what waist size to pants become hard to find? For instance, I am a 36 waist 32 inseam; typical 55 year old pant size in the states...

...and what about shoes??? I wear a men's 11D, a common shoe size in the states...

...and if you are going to spend a year or so in China...how would you get clothing that fits you?
Sep 18, 2006 19:26
  • LOVEISVERB
I don't think you will have any problem to find clothes that fit you, we have lots of shops here in China(especially in big cities?) sell clothes that are made for foreigners(export). Some can hold a dozen LoveisverbS and are still loose. God, they are huge!!
Sep 18, 2006 21:20
  • CONNY129
ask for the biggest size ,haha~~ Verb should ask for those which fit for children ,lol~~
Sep 19, 2006 10:50
  • JABAROOTOO
It's not just the size but the 'cut' of the garments that is the issue.

I'm certainly no more than average and there are plenty of women here in China who are larger than me and they have no trouble finding clothes to fit them but I would have trouble wearing the style.

Some of the more fashionalbe clothes are similar prices to the west so not the best option on our Chinese salaries. I shop at Jeans West or similar for casual wear and often have to buy the largest size but lately I have been buying smaller.

Shoes are the same problem. Emelda Marcos would love it here but I have the same problen with shoes, finding something I really like in a suitable colour and size. I have small feet too.

For men it should be a little easier and of course you can get things tailor made quite cheaply which is what I prefer to do now. I usually copy something that is a good fit etc.
Sep 19, 2006 22:48
  • TEKNOMED
Cloths in China are mainly for the natives who are smaller built and less endowed than Caucasians. It is lucky you are in China where custom-made clothing are still relatively cheap as compared to countries in the West. Your neighbourhood tailor will be very happy to make your cloths for you according to the fashion you want. As for shoes I am sure you can find a cobbler in some dusty old street who can make to measure. Tailors and shoemakers are quite easy to find in South Asia.
Sep 19, 2006 23:06
  • PINETREE
When I was in the UK, I had difficulty looking for clothes/shoes that fit my size too. I had to go to the kid's section instead !
China is huge; so are some of her people - the northerners & Shandong people. So getting clothes/shoes of normal caucasian sizes should not be a problem, I guess. U may need to look for them in the grand-dad's section tho !
There is a saying "China has everything". I think it is quite true. If u cannot find anything u want, it is probably because u don't know how to and where to look for them - esp when u are in the smaller cities/towns.
Sep 20, 2006 00:14
  • LEMONCACTUS
Agree wth Jabarootoo about the cut of the clothes. I love to buy dresses but have tried loads in China and the 'waist' turns out to be my chest and the dress is way too short :(

I'm 1.72m which is just average in the West, but tall for a Chinese female I guess.

Obviously, you won't have that problem Griz... ;) I have a French friend who is 1.90m, he gets shirts and trousers tailor made and quite reasonably priced too. His biggest complaints are shirt collars being too tight and sleeves being too short.

lol Pinetree, at least you are buying smaller, cuter things. I have the opposite experience having to buy clothes in XL, or always asking for bigger sizes... makes me quite depressed!!
Post a Reply to: What waist & shoe size makes you hard to fit?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code