Menu
Need Info for Kunming-Dali-Lijang-Shangrila
Sep 21, 2006 10:23
  • IRACUBET
Dear all,

it's been a while since the last time I logged in. Since then, travel to Xian, Beijing ,etc....truly enjoyed it..especially with two kids in toll. This time...we're planning to tour the above destination. Need accurate info from anyone...

1. Price of comfortable coach btw cities and length (hrs) of travel.
2. how much is flight from Shangrila back to Kunming? any train options?

3. Would Kunming to Shangrila (flight) - lijang and dali-kunming be better itinery?

Thanks.
Sep 21, 2006 18:13
  • SCHUE
Kunming to Dali has flights which I took. There are coaches but it is awfully long coach ride. I took Shangrila flight back to Shanghai via Kunming. I do not believe there is any train options from Shangrila to Kunming.
I suggest that Shangrila should not be sole destination since you get more flavor in Dali which has an ancient city that is less touristy and smaller than Lijiang.
Suggest: Kunming to Dali by air
Dali to Lijiang by coach RMB 130/person?
Lijiang to Shangrila by coach RMB 100/person?
I did not keep receipts and am guessing.
Personally, if you traveled through the national parks in USA, or the outbacks of OZ, Shangrila is a glorified natural green wonder with more rice paddies than you can count. If you like pristine green, visit Yellowstone. If you want to see some rice paddies and villages mingled in a Yellowstone setting, then go to Shangrila.
Sep 22, 2006 01:30
  • IRACUBET
Thanks for the help. I was actually hoping to visit the lamastery in Shangrila...since it's the cloest we could get to experiencing Tibet with two young kids. Part of the reason why I wanted to have more precise fares is because we are teaching our kids how to budget themselves. As per your answer, we'll stick to coaches from Kunming to Dali and Dali to Lijang..maybe...we'll give Shangrila a miss. Thanks anyway.
Sep 22, 2006 09:44
  • JABAROOTOO
If you are in the area you may as well visit Zhongdian/Shangrila or at least Tiger Leaping Gorge. I fyou are a family of four you can hire a small van to take you pthere to see it or take public transport to hike the gorge.

I personally like Lijiang better than Dali, thought it was bigger and less hustling than Dali. We stayed on the outskirts of the old town so it seemed quieter. There is another small town nearby that is quieter which you can cycle to but they all have similar points of interest as well as very different aspects. Bus from Kunming to Dali is now only 5/6 hours compared to nealy 12 on horrific roads and the road from Dali to Lijiang (4Hours)is pretty good once you leave the valley.
Sep 23, 2006 09:30
  • IRACUBET
Thanks a million dollars! he he

Anyway, we are having difficulty catching a flight to Kunming as all the flights are full from SG. Strange though...it's not even the start of the holiday season and we thought we could beat the crowds. Haiz. Anyway...just one more question, would you by any chance know the schedule of the coaches going Kunming-Dali-Lijang-Shangrila? Cos..I'm worried that the same crowd onboard the chartered flights might also overtake the coaches and we'll be stranded in Kunming for 9 days. Thanks.
Post a Reply to: Need Info for Kunming-Dali-Lijang-Shangrila
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code