Menu
Harbin, here I come.
Sep 22, 2006 05:32
  • STILETTOJEAN
Hello all. I'm new to this forum. I'm moving to Harbin in November, and have a few questions I would love answered.

I hear Harbin is pretty sleepy (as in, not a lot going on). Please tell me this isn't so.

1. Are there any great shopping centers I should know about?
2. Any parks that I should definately see?
3. Live theater? Opera House?
4. Live music, jazz clubs?
5. Coffee shops, cafe's... cozy places like that?
6. Any places a couple should go if they want a romantic evening out?
7. Any fun bars? Pubs? What about night clubs?
8. Food? Indian, Chinese, Western, Italian---etc. I would love a list of a serveral great resteraunts, all serving different types of food.
9. Finally, any boredom busting actives you can recommend?

Help me out, please! :)
Sep 23, 2006 22:32
  • LEMONCACTUS
Hi Stilettojean

I've only been to Harbin for a few days, but I really do like the city. Some people make think you're crazy, but if you can handle the cold I think you're moving there at the best time.

Winter is the holiday season and there really is a great, friendly atmosphere in the city. I love the North East anyway, but Harbin goes into festive mode and this alone will warm you up against the bitter cold.

Please check out an excellent review on the city on this site by ILOVEHARBIN. To find it use the destination list on the left hand side, select Harbin and click 'Go'. There are other travel reviews, tips and photographs to give you a flavour of the city.

Take your thermals, hats, gloves, scarves... you can't wear too many clothes, it really IS cold here!

Enjoy :)
Sep 23, 2006 22:38
  • LEMONCACTUS
PS: The 'Be For Time Tea House' chain of cafe/tea houses are a great place to get out of the cold. You can stay as long as you want and watch Chinese life go by. Usually have TVs playing the latest music and the young and cool of Harbin playing cards, meeting friends or just people watching.

You pay 10 or 20rmb, I forget now, and can order as many drinks as you like and the waitresses bring a supply of little dishes of nuts & dates for you to nibble on. Food is extra.
Post a Reply to: Harbin, here I come.
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code