Menu
Prices to expect in Shenyang
Sep 24, 2006 00:37
  • SONICMAN
I am heading to Shenyang very soon to begin teaching at a university. I am curious as to what to expect for prices. I have heard many things are cheaper there, and am trying to decide how much I will bring and how much to buy when I get there.

Here are a few items and services I would like to get an idea of the prices for:
Taxis
Busses
Meals (basic lunch, dinner... burger and fries eqivalent)
Maid service (A friend told me it was very inexpensive to have someone come in a few times a week)
clothing (appropriate for a university instructor)
massage ( I pay 40$ an hour here about once a month)
Sep 24, 2006 06:52
  • LEMONCACTUS
Taxis in Shenyang start at 5rmb or 7rmb roughly for the first 3kms, then go up by about 1.5rmb per 1km.

Public buses are usually 1rmb.

Erm... food is very cheap. Street food like dumplings/pancakes/baozi start at as little as 1rmb. A little cheap diner will cook you up a plate of dumplings for about 5rmb, or equivalent rice/noodle dish. No problems eating for less than 10rmb. Or up to 20rmb if you want a couple of dishes and rice.... depends how fussy/hungry you are. Moe upmarket you go, the more you pay!

I never used a maid.

Clothing is very, very cheap in China if you shop at the markets or on the Chinese high street. If you want Western designers, you'll pay Western prices (in rmb). However much/little you want to spend you'll be able to!

What's your university's idea of what a teacher should wear ? I've worked at 2 different uni's and both are happy for teacher's to be very casual.

Can't say about massages either, because I haven't used them but often there are people working on the streets giving massages for about 20rmb a time. I'd think 40$ will get you a massage a day for a few weeks.

Enjoy Shenyang :)
Sep 24, 2006 15:46
  • SONICMAN
Thanks! I am really looking forward to it. If I can afford a massage every day after work, I may not want to come back to Kansas!!
Sep 25, 2006 09:57
  • FANKAIRONG
taxis daytime:8rmb/first 3 kilometers ,after 10:00 pm ,9rmb/first 3 kilometers,then go up by 1.2 rmb per 1km.
BUS: normal 1yuan rmb,if you have a Buscard,only 0.9 yuan(rmb) one time ,student card is only 0.4 yuan(rmb) one time.
Food:stander(brakfast-2 yuan,lunch-5 yuan,supper-8 yuan),just about $2 a day.of couse,that is for normal citizens.
cloth:shenyang has a market names "五爱市场",is the china's biggest cloth market.you can bug whatelse clothes you can image at a very low price(as low as you can image)
as to massage , i didn't know what is the kind you mean ,but you can have it in bath(澡堂),it cost only 5 yuan.
Dec 15, 2007 00:16
GUEST11152 Hi there

I am exploring a work opportunity in Shenyang and currently based in Suzhou.

How tolerable is the weather there? Can someone describe a typical summer & winter?

Also, I will be very interested in massage. Not the 'zao tang' type, but something decent in a clean environment. In Shenzhen, it costs about RMB 30 and it's about RMB 60 here in Suzhou. I did not see many in Beijing, not sure if there are similar ones there in Shenyang?

Any advice is appreciated.

Cheers
TP
Sep 9, 2012 04:39
GUESTA.V.SAI... Where can I get sofa cloth and curtain cloth in shenyang
Post a Reply to: Prices to expect in Shenyang
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code