Menu
Travelling from Kunming to (a) Dali and (b) Lijiang
May 14, 2006 04:18
  • CLARENCE
Wow thanks for the tips! Btw, are there cheaper but equally nice guesthouses that cost around 150 per night? Hurhurhur thanks anyway! I think we will travel to Lijiang straight from KMG and then do the tours like you suggest, why din i think of that? Haha

Clarence
May 14, 2006 19:21
  • PINETREE
If u are not fussy at all about quality, you can even get below 50 rmb backpackers accomodation, I think. Below 150 rmb - yes, definitely. The one I recommended should be around rmb150 - but need to book in advance.
Other members here might be able to throw more advice.
Enjoy.
Sep 22, 2006 01:43
  • IRACUBET
Hi! I know your forum contribution was last year but I sure hope you're reading this. I'm planning a 9D trip to Kunming-Dali-Lijang-Shangrila with 2 young kids in toll. Any chance of getting your time-tested programme and schedule to start us up in our planning? I hope to get there from 16-25 oct? Btw...what was your est. cost per person? Thanks.
Sep 22, 2006 04:08
  • LEMONCACTUS
Last August I took a bus from Kunming to Dali,a 5 hour trip. If you do this be careful, the buses will all drop you off at Dali NEW Town (actually called Xiaguan). You can catch a 1rmb bus from the Xiaguan bus station to Dali old town, you'll know it when you get there!

Lots of hostels and stuff in Dali. Cheaper if you stay outside the city walls. I stayed in a twin room for just 60rmb. The old city was about 2 minutes walk away.

I stayed in the Lijiang Old Town Youth Hostel. Cheapest twin room was 80rmb but it was very small. I upgraded to a 150rmb room, bigger with ensuite the following day. Again accommodation is more expensive within the old town, but you can't beat the atmosphere.

Also walked Tiger Leaping Gorge. It had just been 'reopened' after a week of rain, was very muddy in places but absolutely fabulous. Again, weather was around 25 degrees.

The weather in Dali/Lijiang August was around 25 degrees, and it rained a lot.

Have fun

Mar 4, 2010 08:20
GUESTWIMPEY [quote=SPOREGUY ,3389]Hi Daisy, Thanks. Looks like the only way from Kunming to Dali or Lijiang is by flight ... and since I only have 5 full days in Kunming, looks like I can't visit Dali or Kunming.I have 5 full days to spend in Kunming ...any suggestions, any one? We don't play golf. Would just like to sight-see and relax.Thanks,Spore Guy[/quote]

forget Kunming and go direct to Dali or Lijiang much better to stay there
hotmail.com|wimpey1946
the netherlands
May 5, 2010 10:48
GUEST49169 Hi, I'm thinking of travelling from Kunming to Dali to Lijiang and the leaping Tiger Gorge in late July/early Aug with my husband. Can someone pls advise?
1. Can I take a train from Dali to Lijiang? How long will it take? Is that better than taking the bus?
2. We are thinking of walking the Leaping Tiger Gorge. Is it a mistake to do that at that time of the year as it can be muddy and hot? Can it be dangerous?
3. I gather that the walk is quite long - 8 hours one day and 6 another to do the whole track. Is it possible for me to just walk for just four hours and meet him at a certain point?
Thanks in advance.
Cheng
May 6, 2010 01:19
  • ELLYSE
1) Yes, you can take a train but there's only one daily (train 5652/5653, 1721--2005) which might or might not be suitable for you. In addition, I expect this to be heavily bought out by tour agencies and the like. It takes only 2h44min which's only a little bit faster than the bus.
2) Yes, it's possible to do. Guesthouses in Qiaotou, as well as along the trek, and Margo's Gorged Tiger Cafe at Qiaotou will have up-to-date information, so just keep checking with them as you go along. There're guesthouses roughly every couple of hours or so along the route, don't worry. I did it a few years ago during that season, walked along the main tarred road from Sean's Guesthouse to Tina's, then went on the high trail all the way to Qiaotou.
3) You could probably both go on the tarred road for a certain distance, then he goes off to do the rest of the trek and you try to hail a ride from a passing vehicle, and arrange to both meet at a certain guesthouse further down the trail.
Oct 4, 2010 08:45
GUEST34213 Hi.I'lI be in Kunming for 10days from 5Feb to 15Feb 2011.Can u suggest to me is best way to visit Dali,Lijiang & Shangri-la.
Is there a problem travelling during Chinese Lunar New Year ?
Page 2 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Travelling from Kunming to (a) Dali and (b) Lijiang
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code