Menu
safe in Guangzhou?
Oct 4, 2006 22:40
  • JEUGE
This will be my 3rd business trip to China, all this year. I've been to Xiamen, Ningbo and Shanghai. I've always felt very safe in China.
I'll be attending the canton fair in Guangzhou this month, and I've heard that Guangzhou is not a very safe place in China.
Can anyone comment on that? What should I expect?
I consider myself a smart traveller that generally knows how to be safe when travelling, but I'd still like to know what to expect.

Thanks!
Oct 5, 2006 01:46
  • SASHA
Hi, you heard right, Guangzhou is considered as "not safe", mostly because of pickpockets and street-robbers issues, but of course it's not that bad, and generally not in the central areas of the city... As business visitor, your city routes will be generally around central areas, which are generally safe places, and worst thing which can happened to you are desperate beggars (old people or small kids) begging for money, or fake electronics/watch (and mostly malfunction or stolen) products street sellers.

Anyway, always take care of your personal belongings, especially while walking in some crowded places...

In Hong Kong, I don't care about my wallet or bag, no matter where I walk and when, but in Guangzhou, if I'm in some crowded places, I always have my hand on my bag where the wallet is... Just as a precaution ;-)

Cheers,
Sasha HK/GZ
Oct 5, 2006 04:30
  • TEKNOMED
My Chinese friend always warn me that in crowded places "what you carry on your back belongs to others what you carry in front belongs to you." I guess pickpockets do cut your bags which you carry on your back esp. knapsacks.
Oct 5, 2006 23:21
  • JEUGE
Thanks Sasha, for the insight and advice!!
Sincerely,
Ira
Oct 7, 2006 20:39
  • CALIFORNIA
Pls take care in every public place in Guangzhou,I lost my cellphone in a subway station last year!

Good luck!
Oct 8, 2006 00:49
  • APAULT
Jeuge

Your profile doesn't say which is your home country. However, my expereince of China including a few days in Guangzhou and Shenzhen is that by international standards it is very safe. I have seen minimal crime in China..yes some pickpocketing, and stuff stolen from packs, and bicycle theft, but few crimes against ythe individual. In fact, if you drop some money or leave your camera on a park bench, the likelihood is someone will come chasing after you with it.

I believe Guangzhou has a bad reputation as it is perhaps one of the worst cities in China... and because the Chinese are very proptective towards foreigners they tell us to be careful about everything we do and everywhere we go!

I have not heard of any Foreeigners incurring actual bodily harm from people (hmmm, one man foolishly invited a women of ill repute to his room and she took his laptoo, but that happens anywhere) There is a FAR GREATER danger of injuring yourself by falling into an uncovered manhole after dark (I still have the grazes and bruises); from the unsafe conditions for pedestrians; or from electrocution from the appalling electrical safety standards especially in wet areas.

This has to be one of the safest countries I have been to... I have only been assaulted in the USA and the UK.
Oct 12, 2006 03:43
  • INTERPRETER
Hi, Jeuge,
Warm greetings from Angelina!
Welcome to China! Welcome to Canton Fair! If you need an interpreter/tour guide/personal assistant, please feel free to contact me. I'm a pretty, caring, reliable female interpreter. Good at English and have lots of local knowledge. I'm sure you will have a wonderful time if you have me as your personal interpreter/assistant. Please feel free to

contact me at: redredrosechina at yahoo dot com

Looking forward to hearing from you soon!

Thanks and best regards,
Angelina
Nov 30, 2011 12:41
GUEST11396 Please be careful when you are in China. Because China has a lot of fake things, a lot of pickpockets!!!
Jan 3, 2012 21:41
GUESTGUEST O... I should have read these sentences before, because yesterday my wallet was stolen from my back pack in Guangzhou with my moneyi ID cards, bank cards etc.. so i agree on this subject : "what you carry on your back belongs to others what you carry in front belongs to you."
This was not a good trip for me to Guangzhou...
Post a Reply to: safe in Guangzhou?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code