Menu
Family visit to Xian- free & easy
Oct 5, 2006 04:35
  • LYNNLENG
Hi,
We plan to visit China on 25th November, starting from Beijing-->Harbin-->Beijing-->Xian
--> Shanghai. We have about 14days.
May I know if it is possible to visit China and do travelling on our own. We speak Mandarin as we are Chinese from S'pore. However we have 3 children aged 4, 8 & 10 in tow.
Wonder how's the public transport there. Is it convenient? Can we hop onto a bus and visit a destination or do we have to get the agents to do the booking.
We are prepared to take a sleeper train from Beijing to Xian then to Shanghai. It's an experience not to be missed. How's the cleanliness on the soft seat train or the sleeper train. Heard a lot about spitting. Will we be sleeping in spits????
I have heard a lot about getting tour guides, but we have never travelled anywhere with guides before, and feel rather restrictive having somebody tagging along. (We've been USA, Korea, M'sia, Indonesia & HK with internet hotel bookings only. Can we do that in China????)
Then the other issue is with the weather. How's the weather at these places mentioned above. Are they very cold?
Wonder if anybody out there can help. By the way, is there any trustworthy guidebook? I want to do my research b4 embarking on the journey. Thanks for your patience with my long long post. Thanks!!!
Oct 5, 2006 04:49
  • TEKNOMED
Best travel guide to refer to before you set out on this adventure is Lonely Planet. Traveling by public transport is good. If you want to travel by train do book soft seat or soft bed if is overnight, these are clean and comfortable. In the big cities, the metro line is a good way to travel. Taxis are good. Intercity buses are usually air conditioned in bigger cities. I found spitting in bigger cities are less and less after the big SARS scare.
Watch out for pickpockets in crowded stations. Pre book your hotels, check the weather report. Temperature varies in different parts of China. It also depend on the period you are visitng. On the whole have a great adventure.
Oct 7, 2006 00:40
  • LEMONCACTUS
Hi Lynnleng

Absolutely it's possible for you to travel with your family without using a tour and/or guides in China. Especially as you speak Mandarin :)

Even in the hard sleepers on the train the cleanliness is usually pretty good. All bedding is changed after every overnight journey and there's 'no spitting' allowed on trains which is usually adhered to. Be aware if you go for soft sleepers that there are only 4 beds to a compartment.

The weather in the North of China will be getting cold in November. Harbin will probably be below freezing, so take hats, scarves, gloves and plenty of warm clothes. Beijing will be around 0-10 degrees. I don't know about Xi'an but it should be a little warmer than BJ.

Also recommend Lonely Planet... but why not check out this website too, there's tonnes of reviews and information about the places you are going to :)

Have a great trip!
Oct 10, 2006 03:09
Hi, I am also from Sing and have two kids of my owe. Let me assure you that the kids will enjoy their stay here very much. Just make sure that you have ample warm coldings for them since the weather will be cold then. If you need help with lodgings in Beijing, pls email me:

comfortbeijing#yahoo.com.cn
(replace # with @)

Cheers!
Post a Reply to: Family visit to Xian- free & easy
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code