Menu
How to travel travel to Tibet with permits? How about the train?
Oct 6, 2006 10:19
  • PIPEPULLER

We are arriving in Beijing Oct 23/06 and would like to go to Tibet but are having difficulty in understanding what is possible and not possible. We would like to take the new train as it seems quite interesting, any suggestions about this?

Also how easy is it to get a permit to enter Tibet? I read chinatibettrain.com and it says upto 10 days for train travel?

From what I understand it sounds like you need 2 permits: One gets you to Lhasa and then another Alien Permit allows you to see other places, is this how it works?

Is it wise to arrive in Lhasa then look for tours to Everest etc? We are on a slight budget and the tours from over here (Canada) are quite expensive.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Oct 17, 2006 13:53
  • EDALAMAR
Hi! I went to Lhjasa last September from CHengdu so i'm going to tell you a little bit about my experience.

I arrange my permit and travel (flight) from chengdu with a hostel (i could tell you which one) and is so easy (they do everything haha) and from my point of view not so expensive. I met a guy from Poland using the train but it tooks two days to go.....

Chengdu Lhasa + visa return by plane should be 360€ aprox. and if you´re planning to go to Everest it´s cheaper if you look one of the advertisments in the hostels/hotel in lhasa and share on 4x4 car.

This people let you share the car with other foreigners and take care of the permit needed for go there, should be cheaper than take it aoutside Tibet.

If i cna help, just let me know ;)
Post a Reply to: How to travel travel to Tibet with permits? How about the train?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code