Menu
I want info on Gongtan
Oct 14, 2006 22:55
  • PAPAALHAWAII
Beautiful Gongtan, high on the Wu River, is about to be buried under water by the Pengshui Dam sometime in 2007. I want to go in January. Does anyone know when the town will be closed and abandoned? Thanks. Papa Al Hawaii
Oct 15, 2006 09:51
  • JABAROOTOO
Hi Al,
Curious about your facination with Gongtan. I was there for a couple of days during the summer of 2005. It's a beautiful place and will still be worth the visit if traveling through the district. It was my understanding that the dam would be online by now. That is, the family we stayed with and all the households below the new water level were to be moved to higher ground within a year. That was August 2005. There will of course remain some of the original old town but the old street and the buildings of any significance will be gone.

Please read my travel review 'Gongtan, going, going, gone". I'll make some inquiries this week and see if I can give you some good news. It certainly would be far more interesting to visit before the water level rises becuase it is DROWNING A LOT especially the boat trackers paths and some pretty valleys.

Get back to you later in the week
J
Oct 16, 2006 16:48
  • PAPAALHAWAII
Thanks for answering. I had already seen your story. Very good. Maybe I will see you on my way to or from. Papa Al
Post a Reply to: I want info on Gongtan
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code