Beijing to Ulaanbaater by train
Oct 21, 2006 06:33
  • MONGOL
Looking to take a trip to mongolia from beijing. My chinese is
very limited and my Mongolian is non exsistent. dont mind
joingijng a tour group, either a Chinese or English one. Are train
tickets expensive, and are tour groups expensive? any
suggestion on how to take a trip to Mongolia from Beijng and
see most of the country and do most of the cliche things, i.e.
horse back riding and trekking through the Gobi desert would
be most appreciated.
Oct 21, 2006 14:20
  • YKPHIL
Beijing to Ulan Bator (trains 3 or 23) one-way costs between 700 RMB ($96) in 2nd class 4-berth hard class, 900 RMB ($126) in 1st class 4berth soft class, or 1,200 RMB ($149) for 1st class 2-berth deluxe soft class

If you want to buy tickets in person at Beijing, you need to do this some time in advance. Westbound trains are easier to get berths on than eastbound trains, but they are still busy. Train 3 to Moscow via Mongolia is often fully booked several weeks in advance especially in summer, although it can be easier to get a berth on train 19 via Manchuria. You can buy Trans-Siberian train tickets at at the international train booking office on the ground floor of the Beijing International Hotel. Also at Beijing main station (metro Bejingzhan), in the ticketing office for foreigners. This is on the north west corner of the 1st floor. Or also at BTG Travel & Tours, on Fwai Dajie between the New Otani and Gloria Plaza Hotels. Look for the desk for Trans-Siberian tickets, with information in English.
You can also buy tickets by phone or email with China Travel Service. You can book trains from Beijing to Moscow, Irkutsk or Ulan Bator by email to cits.com.cn|support-en
www.cits.net/travel/reservation/train.jsp) or by calling CITS on + 86 10 6512 0507 or + 86 10 6512 0503. CITS more or less charge the official ticket office price, so this is a good way to book.

You could also buy tickets through an agency in China or Hong Kong such as Monkey Shrine (www.monkeyshrine.com) and of course it is more expensive than booking it all yourself. ChinaTripAdvisor (www.chinatripadvisor.com) is a little cheaper than going through a travel agency.
Oct 21, 2006 21:44
  • MONGOL
thank you very much for that thorough, detailed respnose, my
trip my will all that much easier. thanks.
Oct 23, 2006 03:52
  • CALIFORNIA
So useful:-)
Post a Reply to: Beijing to Ulaanbaater by train
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code