Menu
Teaching in China
Oct 22, 2006 13:28
  • YKPHIL
I am thinking about language teaching in China in the medium term (2 years) as a way to finish off my career and start a new one. Being close to early retirement and salary not being a big issue, I'm wondering if it is realistic to bring my children with me. I got 5 of them, ranging from 5 to 20. Very likely the two older ones will soon be out of the house (very loud YEAH!). Has anyone gone through a similar experience? what should I expect in term of schooling, living arrangements, etc. Also, I have an undergrad and two graduate degrees (masters) and speak English of course, but also French, Spanish and Italian. Any interest in these languages in China? Would I be able to work with a university instead of a private school?

My geographical preferences are like me, in the extremes...I like Hainan, but also Harbin and Shenyang.

Xie Xie
Oct 24, 2006 01:58
  • LEMONCACTUS
Ykphil

As this is primarily a travel website I think you're unlikely to get the answers you need here. May I suggest you look at Dave's ESL cafe (google it) for an idea of jobs that are available, salaries and benefits etc. There are teacher forums here where you can probably get in touch with someone who has brought their family over to China with them too.

There definitely is interest in teaching other languages besides English in China. Again, you need to check out the teaching websites (just google teaching in china!) I've known a few teachers here teaching French, even in small cities.

No problems working in a University as long as you have a degree and/or TEFL and/or teaching experience.

There's huge temperature extremes between Hainan, Shenyang and Harbin. Harbin is one of the coldest places in China getting down to -40 celcius in the winter. Hainan regularly tops 40 degrees in the summer. Not only that, but Shenyang & Harbin are huge, industrial giants, Hainan is a relatively poor, tropical island.

Teaching in China is an amazing experience.

Wishing you good luck.
Oct 24, 2006 09:27
  • JABAROOTOO
Re schooling for your younger children. If you wish to place them in an international school you'll need to find a city that has one. A google search should give you some results. All the major costal cities have them.

Of course you may be considering home schooling so this is not an issue for you. Lemoncactus's advice is the best for you. Although there a a few of us teachers here regularly you will do better at daveseslcafe

And welcome to China in the near future
Oct 24, 2006 18:10
  • YKPHIL
Thanks Lemoncactus and Jabarootoo for your advice. I will definitely check this website. I was in China back in the early 80s and was a visiting professor during a semester at Fudan, it was a wonderful experience. I went back last June after a 20-year absence. I still cannot believe the changes! I've lived in the Arctic for 24 years, so -40 C in Harbin is almost like the tropics for me...although the beaches of Hainan are inviting!

Cheers
Phil
Oct 25, 2006 10:10
  • JODIE
Hi. I'm in Harbin and work in a university. I have met some foreigners teaching Englihs. In fact, few people come here with their children, but if you really want to do so, I don't think it's big problem. I suggest you work in public schools, because it will be more convenient for you, but some private schools can provide more money.
Post a Reply to: Teaching in China
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code