Menu
Travelling to Nanning-Guilin
Oct 23, 2006 14:24
  • KSWONG
Hi
We will be flying to Hanoi in late January 07 and making our
way north into China by train/bus. Maybe stopover in
Nanning if there is something interesting.

Are there some nice towns along the way we should visit?
We have around 10 days for the journey. Any nice locals
want to show us around?

We are a small group of 4 or 5 photographers from
Malaysia/Singapore and this is our first time to China. We
speak a bit of Mandarin.

Thank you.
Oct 24, 2006 04:05
  • VIATURATI3
If you are going to spend the night in Hanoi, try this route:
1 get hold of a guesthouse in the old quarter, usually this is a mini van leaving for the border at about 8 in the morning. better to make sure the night before.
2 the van will drop you off right at the border, and after crossing take a local taxi to the bus station. if things go smooth you should be able to catch the 2pm bus to nanning.
3 be in nanning at 6pm. then you can decide whether you want to stay. in case of leaving, there are buses to guilin all the time (4 hours).

i dont know what you are looking for but for common tourists there is nothing to see in between.
Oct 24, 2006 08:09
  • KSWONG
I was initially thinking of taking the overnight Hanoi-to-
Nanning train, if there is one.

Otherwise, the bus will be the next choice, I guess. Thank
you for your suggestion. :)
Oct 24, 2006 08:40
  • PINETREE
If u are going in Jan & since u are photography enthusiasts, ever thought of trying Harbin ? It will be superbly cold but I understand the scenery and ice carvings will meet what most photographers' desire.
Oct 24, 2006 09:45
  • JABAROOTOO
Hi there,
As photographers you are heading to one of the most interesting southern provinces of China. I love Guangxi and not just Guilin.

Nanning is not your typical tourist hot spot but it is a nice place to overnight and look around.

But of more interest to you would be the waterfall on the Sino-Vietnamese border called De tian west of Nanning.

Getting out into the countryside travelling by small mini van from town to town would be a good way for your group to travel north to Guilin, especially as you can speak a little Mandarin.

Do a google search online for places of interest. Even check out CCTV 9's website. I saw an interesting segment on the southern "silk route" which was a secion of road just a few kms long across the mountains which connects two of the major river routes carrying goods from south to the wwest. Looked like another interesting place to check out in the south east of the province. Sorry I can't give you more details but do a google and see what you dome up with.

For your first visit everything should be interesting. You will come across several of the minorities if you can get out of the big cities. Reccommend you get a Lonely Planet or similar for other tips and places of possible interest
Oct 24, 2006 14:51
  • VIATURATI3
hey,
as you said there is an over night train but it only leaves every tuesday and friday at 1830. it is slow (like 15 hours), but if you can make it it will save you the night.
talking about nanning and liuzhou, if you are going the same way back it is probably better to head straight for guilin and visit the other 2 on your way back if you have time. 'cause practically around guilin you can find everything that's in lz and nn.
to me north of guilin is always a best destination, epecially the long ji ti tian(dragon back rice terraces) and san jiang where is famous for a traditional covered bridge called feng yu qiao. try to spend a couple of nights in a local's homestay place, enjoy the serenity and fresh veggies (mmmm.....)
and if it snows......

Sep 30, 2008 10:50
GUESTPIN hey,

Anyone can suggest how do i go about to Nanning from Singapore? The fastest and cheapest way ofcos ;)
Oct 25, 2008 11:46
  • ELLYSE
Fly Singapore -- Guangzhou then take a train Guangzhou -- Nanning. You could of course take flight or bus for the latter leg, but flight would be of course much more expensive and bus won't be as comfortable.
Sep 5, 2011 23:19
GUEST11187 hey,

Anyone can suggest how do i go about to Nanning to Guilin Tour Package ? The fastest and cheapest way ofcos ;)
Sep 6, 2011 01:06
GUEST2234
Quote:

Originally Posted by GUEST11187

hey,

Anyone can suggest how do i go about to Nanning to Guilin Tour Package ? The fastest and cheapest way ofcos ;)

Nanning to Guilin? There are many trains from Nanning to Guilin. Train schedule as follow:
http://www.travelchinaguide.com/china-trains/
Sep 6, 2011 09:43
  • GEORGECOMBEY
[quote=VIATURATI3 ,33589]If you are going to spend the night in Hanoi, try this route:1 get hold of a guesthouse in the old quarter, usually this is a mini van leaving for the border at about 8 in the morning. better to make sure the night before.2 the van will drop you off right at the border, and after crossing take a local taxi to the bus station. if things go smooth you should be able to catch the 2pm bus to nanning.3 be in nanning at 6pm. then you can decide whether you want to stay. in case of leaving, there are buses to guilin all the time (4 hours).i dont know what you are looking for but for common tourists there is nothing to see in between.[/quote]

Hi there,

I find these route helpful. We are planning for a trip to Hanoi in few months. Thank you for the route.
Post a Reply to: Travelling to Nanning-Guilin
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code