Menu
Changing Korean currency in China
Nov 2, 2006 00:20
  • CHYNAGYRL
I went to China last year with a thick wad of Korean bills and discovered much to my chagrin, that NO BANKS IN CHINA can exchange Korean wons to Renmingbi. This was a big surprise to me that caused me a temporary panic. Why on earth do no banks in Beijing (or elsewhere, to my knowledge) exchange Korean money? They are one of the biggest trading partners with China and Korean companies do lots of business in China.

I wish someone would explain this mystery to me! Anyone know why this is?
Nov 2, 2006 07:38
  • SHTANG03
Always change to American dollars or euro where ever you go .folks!!

Nov 2, 2006 11:52
  • CHYNAGYRL
You can exchange the currency of OBSCURE countries I've never even heard of at the Bank of China in Beijing, but they do not exchange Korean money, which is from a country right next door. I don't get it.
Nov 2, 2006 15:34
  • PINETREE
This is strange indeed. I have no problem changing my SG$ at the banks - poor rate tho.
Nov 2, 2006 15:41
  • GRYOKAN
QUOTE :
went to China last year with a thick wad of Korean bills... UNQUOTE.

U must be damn rich, ChynaGyrl. Maybe the banks didn't have enough rmb to change with you ?
Nov 2, 2006 17:29
  • CHYNAGYRL
sorry, i didn't mean to sound rich. It was all the money I had brought with me for a month of traveling in China. So I was not happy when the airport and banks told me I couldn't convert it any of it. ...That's when having travel companions comes in useful. I really owed my friends a big one that time. :-|
Nov 2, 2006 19:38
  • MAY001
Industrial and Commercial Bank of China can change Korean currency in Beijing, Shanghai, Jilin, Jiangsu and many other provinces in China since Aug. 2005. Maybe you came to China before Aug??
Nov 2, 2006 23:14
  • CHYNAGYRL
Oh REALLY! That's good to know for my next trip to China. In fact, I did visit China before August 2005 in the dark olden days.
Nov 3, 2006 00:17
  • MAY001
Yes, I googled it and found the news in internet. It also said that Bank of China start to changing Korean curency too. But just in Shanghai. I don't know it's exactly or not, though.
Nov 3, 2006 00:31
  • CALIFORNIA
It changes everyday,you should check the website of BOC:-)
Post a Reply to: Changing Korean currency in China
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code