Menu
Peak in Shangri-la
Nov 4, 2006 11:34
  • BOBBYV03
I took a trip in China this summer. During my stay in the beautiful town of Shangri-la in Yunnan, I ascented a peak. You had the choice of taking a cable to the top of the mountain. I am really interested in knowing the name of this mountain I climbed (I didn't take the cable car). I believe the "tourist" name was Blue Valley Mountain, or something close to that.

Any knowledge would be appreciated.
Nov 6, 2006 00:48
  • ADVENT
Tell me more about this peak in Shangri-la. As I will be going there end Nov 06

Is it a difficult climb? How long is the trekking? Is trekking possible in the NOv/Dec period?

What else did you do while in Shangri-la?

Thanks so much for your input
Nov 6, 2006 09:17
  • FAERIEQUEENE
It appears that there are several "snow capped" mountains in so called Shangrila (Diqing) - Meili?

I digged out my photo album and travel journal. I only climbed the Jade Dragon Snow capped Mountain in Dali, where there is a meadow named Spruce Plateau, accessed by cable car.
Nov 7, 2006 16:23
  • BOBBYV03
Well, my brother and I rode some bikes rented in town maybe 3 or 4 kilometers away. We arrived at this mountain which supposedly had a spectacular view of the Blue Mountain Valley at the top. We had the option of paying 400 kuai (total) to take two cable cars to the top (100 kuai per person per cable car). Instead, we ducked underneath a fence and took a "path" that led to the top. At first, a local led us, and the climb wasn't too bad. It wasn't easy, but well within the range of any physically able person. We arrived at the second cable car station, which was situated in something of a valley.

Side note: In this valley there was a small local town, or farm. It wasn't really a town. We wanted to ride some horses to the top so we talked with the locals. They invited us into a little shack for tea and some other local Tibetan food, never mentioning horses again. We left after 20 or 30 minutes, at which point the Tibetans tried to cheat us. We owed them 16 kuai for the tea, she wanted 50. So, my advice to you is to avoid that place.

Back on track, we decided we would walk up the rest of the mountain. Here is where things went wrong. At some point we got off the path. We were lost on a mountain, getting dark, starting to rain, in the middle of nowhere. After about an hour we found the path again. The path was little to be desired. At some points I had to get on all fours to traverse the football-sized rocks which were the path.

Finally we got to the top. I don't recall the view too well because I was exhuasted. But it was nice. We tricked some workers into letting us take the cable car down. I say "tricked" because you were only allowed down if you had the ticket to go up.

The climb was very difficult. It may not be as dangerous if you don't get lost, but the difficultly will only decrease slightly. I recommend the cable car if you are not travelling on budget as I was.

Shangri-la is nice. It has an old town similar to that of Lijiang. VERY touristy. Lonely Planets are everywhere. There are some good parts of the city, but the appeal of being in Shangri-la, a tucked away town near the Tibetan border, is worth travelling there in itself.

Hope this helps!
Nov 12, 2006 04:01
  • ELLYSE
Meilixueshan is a virgin peak (and a sacred mountain to the Tibetans), no one has been able to scale it yet, and I sincerely hope that it continues to be this way, for the sake of the Tibetans and their culture. Thus no way was this the mountain that you scaled from Zhongdian.
I think the one you went up would be Yulong (Jade Dragon) near Lijiang instead. No, this one isn't near Dali (as someone mistakenly mentioned). I can't think of any other major mountain in the vicinity with a cable car.
Nov 12, 2006 15:53
  • BOBBYV03
Thanks for your help, but I don't think it was Jade Dragon. Here is a picture of the mountain I'm referring to: http://new.photos.yahoo.com/little_smart_dud
e/album/576460762306973959/photo
/294928803008286273/12

This mountain wasn't near Lijiang. It was at most five kilometers outside the center of Shangri-la (Zhongdian)
Nov 14, 2006 16:05
  • ELLYSE
Might not be a major mountain then. Did it have a lake in the vicinity? I wonder if it was Bitahai, also called Emerald Pagoda Lake. Either that, or Birang Valley (Emerald something Valley).
Apr 29, 2007 04:06
  • JIMMYDEAN
The name of the mountain is Shika Shan.
Dec 19, 2007 00:09
GUEST68175 We rode the cable in Jan 07, VERY expensive, great view, Worst restrooms in China.
Jan 19, 2008 07:52
GUEST55728 Hi !

I'm not chinese, but very want to visit Shagri-la! Anybody can give me any advise how to do it. I'm working & living in Shanghai and have a time during Spring Festifal'08 . So I want to go.

Any company? Any advise? Any wishes? Join me may be?

thanks!
Jan 19, 2008 07:53
GUEST55728 fogot...

sent messege about trip yandex.ru|fortunato1 (i'm russian)
Post a Reply to: Peak in Shangri-la
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code