Menu
How do you rate China as a tourists destination ?
Nov 6, 2006 21:44
  • XIEJIANFA
If we compare all the places of interest in this world, how would you rate China as a tourist destination? Comment on the culture,tourist spots and food.
Nov 7, 2006 06:17
  • APAULT
I think we must be careful to distinguish different segments of then tourist market. I am sure that the 5 star hotel, multi thousand dollar guided trips are totally different from the backpacking, bus and Y60 hotel travel I did.

For the indepenent tourist who does not speak English, it is tough travelling. China has not really geared up to general tourism yet...sure the hot spots have some facilities, but that's all. Even where there are attempts to increase tourism, facilities are often poorly maintained and there is little understanding of what foreign travellers are looking for. This is not a criticism, simply an observation, and I am not surprised by the situation as tourism is in its infancy and there are still few tourists in most locations.

There are some obvious things like properly cold drinks in restaurants, 10C is NOT cold...and even this can be hard to obtain in some reasoably good restaurants AND on the Chinese airlines. Entry to most tourist locations is expensive against other Chinese prices, yet often the facilities are poor or badly maintained.

Getting to local attractions can be very difficult unless you go on an expensive (yes expensive, if you earnt your money in China) organised tours. There are no information offices in any city I have been to, and little information anywhere on how to get to such places. To make it worse foreigners cannot normally drive so we cannot make our own way to the out of town locations.

On the other hand people are VERY friendly (outside the tourist hotspots), and if you take time to chat it is very rewarding. The food, of course is great and there is so much variety. If you like to shop,prices are so much lower than in the west. The whole culture is different,and therefore makes the trip worthwhile but it is rapidly being lost as the young seek western style modern cities and facilities.

So for the independent traveller, especially those on a limited budget, it can be hard, it can be fun, it can be rewarding... but only come if you can handle the difficulties and sometimes the disappointments. Try to make some friends on the internet before you come... it is a great to meet them and a great comfort to know there are people to help you if you get into troubles!

Nov 7, 2006 20:24
  • GERALDINE
I THINK THAT CHINA IS GREAT AS A TOURIST DESTINATION. I really don't want it tot change as the culture and the lifestyles are wonderful. I didn't speak Chinese and I really found it no problem to travel and thoroughly enjoyed seeing things that were very different to my own country. I know that China has to develop and I am aware that people need to or want to live in different and better conditions but I found it relaxing and enjoyable the whole way around the country.
I do not want the country changed in to a version of Western countries I would like to see it develop and yet maintain it's charm, culture and beauty at the same time. Sadly I don't think this will happen.
Post a Reply to: How do you rate China as a tourists destination ?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code