Menu
December year end - is it a good time?
Oct 24, 2004 21:55
  • MONICA68
Usually over christmas annually, i would plan a trip to different places in China. This year, i hope to go to Nanjing. However, due to work schedules, i can only go in Dec. Question i would like to seek advice on

1) Would it be really cold? Snowing by end Dec-early Jan?
2) How far is Nanjing from Beijing - ie if i chose to "blend" the 2 trips?
3) What are the main sights that MUST BE seen/visited at Nanjing?
4) Any recommendations for hotel for 2 adults?

Many thanks

Warm regards: Monica
Oct 26, 2004 09:37
  • DAISY
Hello, Monica!
It would be a little cold. The temperature would be below 0 centigrade. Nanjing in December and January is prone to snow, and although very picturesque, temperatures do fall well below freezing so come prepared!

If take train from Nanjing to Beijing, it would take you about 14 hours usually, and 9.5 hours by the direct express (no stopover during the whole course) whose number stars with "Z". But as recent aviation sale situation shows that the air fare would be in great discount so that to take flight is even much cheaper than to take the train! More efficient and more cheap~~
Nov 13, 2004 21:19
  • MONICA68
Many thanks Daisy for your advice. I will be heading there in late dec, it would be nice to see snow - except I better get shoes suited for walking in snow.

Do u know of any good tour groups which I can hook up with whilst there?
Nov 15, 2004 10:12
  • DAISY
Not onlt the shoes, but also the layer gear. It is not fixed which day would snow at that time when you travel there, so you'd better make full preparation.
If it will be your first time to Nanjing, I think you'd better book a tour in advance.

I've sent you message:D

Daisy
Nov 15, 2004 10:21
  • ANNIE
Nanjing is a good place to see a bit of Chinese history and culture away from the tourist route; the city is littered with cultural relics, museums and nice scenery and is small enough to get around in a short period of time. For those living or staying in Shanghai, Nanjing makes a nice alternative destination for a weekend vacation.

Among all the dynasties that had their capital in Nanjing, the Ming left the city with the most cultural relics, including the Nanjing City Wall, Zhuyuanzhang's Mausoleum and the Drum Tower. The city was also the birth place of China's first democratic revolutionary, Dr.Sun Yat Sen (Sun zhongshan),and his Mausoleum is situated majestically upon the slopes of the nearby Purple Mountain. There are also many other cultural sites relating to him in Nanjing.

Nanjing has a rich and varied history and is well known throughout China. Perhaps most importantly, the ancient city enjoys major religious significance for the Chinese. The Jiming Temple, and the Wuliangdian Hall, an arch-shaped brick hall in the Linggu Temple built without using an inch of wood or nail, are both good examples of the city's religious position.

Nanjing boasts beautiful natural scenery, as well as historically being a great defensive capital. The locals have learned to love this green and varied landscape, giving the area such pretty sights as the Plum Blossom Hill, Zixia Lake and Xuanwu Lake.
Post a Reply to: December year end - is it a good time?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code