Menu
Biking Hainan?
Nov 13, 2006 22:10
  • JRSEARLE
Hello everyone!
I'm planning on Biking the circumference of Hainan in late January-Feb and I'm mainly curious about the north-west side of the island and how the terrain is.
If anyone can give me any pointers about the island in general or about finding accomodation in smaller towns etc. that would be super!
Nov 15, 2006 02:17
  • BELLELI
As far as I know seems impossible. If you would like to travel Hainan by bike, you must need to ride on the high-speed road. But you should know it's not allowed. My classmates ever tried to visit Sanya from Haikou by bike, when they ride on the high-speed road, they were prevented by polices. They told me if they were not students, if they didn't give so much big smile to the polices, they must be taken to the police station. So I think you'd better not try it again, unless you can sure you will not on the high-speed road.

Hope it helps!
Jan 25, 2007 03:07
  • BRUCIANNA
Of course there is no problem whatsoever with biking in Hainan. I've personally ridden on almost every single paved road the island has and found the scenery lovely and the condition of the roads generally excellent.

The very idea that you would have to ride on the expressways is absurd.

During the 2006 Tour de Hainan only 150km or so of the 860km were on the expressway and that only because some of the roads are a bit bumpy for the average 42kph the racers were doing. Evenso, a lot of people felt that far too much of the race was run on the expressways and that maybe the racers should have just gone a little slower (like they do on the cobbles of Paris Roubaix).

The Hainan Provincial Cycling Association hicycling.com.cn currently doesn't have an English webpage, but they do have an English speaking contact person and will have no problems getting you set up to go cycle touring in Hainan including everything that you need to buy (and still more that you don't need to buy) and even some rental road bikes that are nicer than my current road bike.

(I'm saving my pennies for a Ti frame racer with Ultegra gruppo.)

Marian 86 1351 883 8911
Dec 3, 2008 11:05
  • JOHN22
The terrain in the North-West is fairly flat. The closer you get to the centre the more mountainous it gets.

It is easy to find accommodation in all but the small villages. Perhaps learn how to ask for a hotel in Chinese.

http://www.bike-hainan.com has some Hainan cycling maps and other info.
Dec 16, 2009 23:29
GUEST22815 Is the central part of the island worth biking through? A couple buddies and I are thinking about renting bikes in Haikou, and then biking down to Sanya. Is this a realistic goal? Could this be done comfortably in less than 5 days?
Jan 2, 2010 09:48
GUEST15084 I have been cycling on Hainan 4 weeks ago with a reasonable Giant rental bike. I went from Haikou to Sanya within 3 days via Wuzhishan. Road conditions vary, to have a working front suspension is recommended. I spent a total of 10 days cycling all across Hainan and enjoyed it.

Best regards
Joerg
Jan 4, 2010 20:16
GUEST61772 Hello there,

I am visiting Sanya with my girlfriend, and we'd like to hire some bicycles for about 5 or 6 days.

Does anyone know a place in Sanya where we can rent 2 good-quality bicycles (our heights are 174cm approx. and 165cm approx.)?

if so, how much are they?

And do they come with racks? Panniers? Helmets?

Many thanks
Jim in Sydney
hotmail.com|jimmyhope
Jan 14, 2010 20:08
GUEST34239 could u pls tell me where did u hire the bike from?
Feb 15, 2010 17:56
GUEST14866 Where is the most secluded, beautiful, warm water, white sand, undeveloped, wonderful beach in Hainan?
Post a Reply to: Biking Hainan?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code