Menu
What's the truth?
Apr 27, 2007 20:11
Hey guys,

Not all westerners can understand Chinese culture! I know a British man who didn't know Shanghai when he visited China for the first time. How can we expect him to tell the difference between western and Chinese dragons? BTW, he is not so illiterated as you may imagine. He had received university education.

If China takes Dragon as its official symbol, what will the American government say? Surely, stories about the bad dragons will revive. People will be persuaded not to do business with Chinese because Chinese people are aggressive and China is threatening just as the dragon. They will believe that once China grows in power, it will immediately attack other countries.

For many years Chinese government are doing hard to tell the world China is friendly. It doesn't want this image to be spoiled.
Apr 28, 2007 23:08
  • GRIZ326
I hope you are incorrect BethanyBethany.

Unfortunately, the Wikipedia supports some suspicions:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon

Apr 29, 2007 01:20
  • MIRANDAZHAO
I believe change the English name of Chinese dragon is a better idea. How do you think about it? 龙, the Long.
Apr 29, 2007 01:50
  • TRAVELDREAM
Then what's the Chinese name for dragon? It's easy for people to find out Long =dragon. In addition, how can we ask all people around the world to translate 龙 into Long instead of dragon? 

South Koreans started talking about translating Seoul into 首尔 instead of 汉城 with the Chinese government several years ago. The name was officially changed only one year ago. Still, many people are used to 汉城.

Page 2 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: What's the truth?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code