Menu
Walk Great Wall
Nov 4, 2004 07:39
  • N01TK
Is it possible to start at one end of the great wall and walk to the other end. This is assuming an individual is physically capable of such an endeavour. Realizing this would at times be dangereous and torturous.
Nov 4, 2004 09:19
  • DAISY
Oh, it would be a long walk!
The Great Wall, extensive bulwark erected in ancient China, is one of the largest building-construction projects ever carried out, running (with all its branches) about 4,500 miles (7,300 km) east to west from Shanhaiguan Pass near Bo Hai (Gulf of Bohai) to Jisayuguan Pass (in modern Gansu province) traversing 9 provinces and regiones, Liaoning, Hebei, Tianjin, Beijing, Shanxi, Inner Mongolia, Shaanxi, Ningxia, Gansu.
Nov 9, 2004 10:35
  • ANNA
Badaling - This is by far the most popular Great Wall of China site for travelers, mainly because it's the closest to Beijing (less than two hours away). The Badaling section was built around 500 years ago - and was extensively renovated by the present Chinese government over the last several decades. Be mindful that Badaling swarms with tour groups, individual tourists and hawkers - and has become somewhat tacky. This could taint your photographs and memories of an otherwise visually striking Great Wall of China site.
Nov 9, 2004 10:36
  • ANNA
Mutianya - It is an hour farther away from Beijing than Badaling. This is a blessing - the extra travel time means that fewer vacation tour groups will travel to it. This Great Wall of China site is remarkable. The incline of the wall at Mutianya is noticeably steeper than Badaling's. However, like Badaling, Mutianya has a cable car for tourists who choose not to walk up the wall.
Nov 9, 2004 10:36
  • ANNA
Simatai - You must travel yet another hour to reach the Simatai site from Beijing and, therefore, you will encounter even fewer vacationers than at Mutianya. Some of the wall dramatically clings to precipitous mountain ridges. Because the incline is especially steep and there is no cable car, I do not recommend the Great Wall of China site at Samatai for those not in good physical condition.
Nov 10, 2004 13:44
  • EMMANICHOLAS
Regarding the Simatai section, is it so steep that you need your hands to climb the wall?
Nov 11, 2004 09:07
  • ANNA
Remember that much of Simatai is in a state of ruin. Consequently, you will be embarking on an adventurous hike. In parts, the way is steep and hazardous and is not for the feint hearted! It is not really suitable for more elderly people who should always be accompanied. As with all dangerous exploits it is advisable to have an experienced guide or someone who has been before to go with you. Also, take particular care not to loose your footing when stopping to take photographs! Never take unnecessary risks and keep to the recognised paths.
Nov 11, 2004 09:10
  • DAISY
This part is famous for its craggedness, old people is not suitable for climbing this section.

Nov 16, 2004 11:12
  • DAVE
I went to the Simatai Great Wall with my friend last Friday. We only paid US$13 including the transportation and the entrance fees for round trip.
I would like to share my experience with any China Travel travelers.
Please take the No.980 in the Dongzhimen long-distance bus station, and then take a van to the Simatai Great Wall.

Nov 17, 2004 11:07
  • AUSTIN
tours generally take you to the Great Mall of China at Badaling. Buy a copy of 'Hiking around Beijing', rent a car for the day (RMB200 - 500) and show the driver the route to Huanghuacheng or get to the Jiankou stretch of the wall (I've put reviews under the Huanghuacheng and Miyun sections of the Beijing Shi pages, including directions on how to get there) and get to the wild wall.
Post a Reply to: Walk Great Wall
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code