Menu
Travel in China
Dec 27, 2006 09:20
  • REGGIE
I am going to be in China from March 17th to the 31st and was wondering about inter country travel. We will arrive in Bejing, go to Xian, then to Chongqing. From Chongqing we would like to take a cruise downt the yangtze. We will have to make our way to Shanghi when all is said and done for our departure flight. Basically is it easy to just make air and train reservations on the go when we are there or should we make the plans ahead of time. We are planning on using the train for the short trips, and air for the long trips so we dont loose too much time to travel between destinations. As for the yangtze trip, is it easy to set up the cruise itenerary once in Chongqing or should that be done in advance as well. Thanks for your help
Dec 27, 2006 23:41
  • APAULT
Reggie. It sounds like you want to do a lot in a short time....and what you are doing will cost a bit...why not use the professional services of this site ? :)
Dec 28, 2006 07:39
  • REGGIE
We may cancel the Chongqing leg of the journey due to the large amount of stuff we want to do in short time. I dont want to plan any intercountry travel prior to arriving since we really dont have an itenarary. We just want to go with the flow. I have read in a few spots that you can make reservations through the Hostels that you are staying in and it is cheaper than booking in advance from the US.
Dec 28, 2006 22:32
  • APAULT
Yes you can book from some hostels, tho my experience is that they simply have an arrangement with a travel agent. So maybe it is better to go to travel agents so that you can shop around. Outside the major half dozen cities you should try to get some local help.

Unless you plan to go at peak times to places where there are major conferences I wouldn't be worrying too much about hotels, there are plenty of them.

Why not see if TCG can arrange something flexible for you? If they have a rough idea in advance then you call up when you are ready for the next step... that way you are dealing with just one agent and it has English speakers :) In my experience organising travel and visiting sights is very time consuming. This is a waste of your very limited time...unless it is this type of experience that you are looking for.

Have you checked out all the info in TCG? You can get some idea of accommodation and prices, and train schedules and prices.... the latter is a bit hidden.... select 'search' to the right of the main tabs, then you find the train schedules are on the left of the next window. But booking trains 'on the fly' can be difficult as they are often booked out in advance.

Dec 29, 2006 03:43
  • EXLIFE
Hi REGGIE,

i think APAULT is right. since you have to visiting so many places, it is better to book services from a agent. and Travel China Guide is a professional one who will design your journey according to your plan. just have a try.
Dec 29, 2006 07:28
  • REGGIE
Thanks for the usefull tips. I will take a look into the site for booking info.
Dec 31, 2006 22:16
Hi,
I m Angle from Shanghai.I m experienced in guide and interpreter.If you need my help in Shanghai,it's my pleasure to give you a hand.
My email is hotmail.com|Angela-shanghai.
Happy New Year!
Feb 4, 2007 08:33
  • JABAROOTOO
Welcome to China. This will be a great time to travel as it is off peak. You can book your cruise when you arrive in China if not in Chongqing itself. I have a friend coming through at the same time and am looking at options for her too although probably going upstream not down. I hope to have something next week so will post again if I think it is worth while.
Keep in mind this cruise takes more than 2 days but you can take the bus and hydrofoil in just 12 hours if you still want to go down the river. Some people are disappointed with the visit to the new Dam site.
Be sure to book your hostels in advance and they are always more than happy to help you book trains, plains and day trips. In fact some of the hostels in Beijing offer some really good value for money outings that may be more what you are looking for.

See what TCG can tailor for your budget, it may just save you a lot of time and energy on your limited schedule.
Feb 5, 2007 08:13
  • JEFFYANG
if possible, could you send your plan in detail to me?
i can design the professional travel plan for you !
if you have any questions,please ask me freely !
i'm a local english tour guide in Xi'an !
regards
Jeff
Post a Reply to: Travel in China
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code