Menu
SILK ROUTE
Dec 29, 2006 11:24
  • TEKNOMED
Hi, we are planing to travel the Xian - Lanzhou - Urumqi section of the Silk Route in 2007. Will not be joining any tour group. Those who have travelled this route, please advise best time of the year to travel this route. Any tips or recommendations will be very much appreciated.
Feb 4, 2007 08:23
  • JABAROOTOO
Hi there, you'll love the trip. Read the Travel Reviews on the area. I've another to post on Hami later.

Use trains for the long hauls and buses for the shorter distances is OK. while it is hot during the summer we manged to enjoy our visit in early August and even had a refreshing shower in Urumqi and a cold breeze in the afternoon we bused to Turpan.

Any time of year would be good but during summer wyou can enjoy the grape harvest and the other fruits.etc

Hire taxi/car for sightseeing and it's pretty easy to find English speaking guides. They will find you actually. I have a contact in Turpan if you want to follow up. Be sure to book trains a day ortwo in advance though as there is a lot of traffic out there. Buses are anot so bad and as a last resort you can take the sleeper coach. The new freeway from Jiayuguan to Lanzhou should be finished by now so that trip by road should be a lot faster and more comfortable.

Do your research so you don't miss things. There is so much to see along the route and it's good to take some small detours if you have time. Unfortunarely we did not have the time we needed to see everything but I thoroughly enjoyed what we did get to.
Feb 5, 2007 00:14
  • TEKNOMED
Dear Jabarootoo thank you very much for the info. Makes our planing much easier.
Feb 5, 2007 08:06
  • JEFFYANG
hi, i suppose you travel the silk road in summer time !
we did this travel in 2006 ,between july to August. the kanas is very beautiful in xin jiang state!
and the travel reson for the Urumqi is quite short ,only 3 months. july to september ,each year.
in those month ,the fruit of Urumqi is so nice ! you can have a try !
i'm local citizen in xi'an, the starting point of silk road,i enjoy history so nuch !
please ask me if you have any questions
best regards
Jeff
Feb 6, 2007 19:33
  • MAY001
Yes, summer is the best time, and early autumn is also ok.
Feb 9, 2007 03:10
  • ELLYSE
Jaba, could you pass me the details for your contact in Turpan please? My friends and I are planning to go to Xinjiang province later this year, and would definitely be stopping by Turpan. Thanks. :)
Post a Reply to: SILK ROUTE
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code