Menu
payment for teaching while travelling
Jan 5, 2007 09:38
  • SOMMER27
does anyone know how to recoup wages that have been stolen by ones employer? I am still waiting for my last payment from SHANE ENGLISH SCHOOL in xian who think that because i no longer live in xian, they do not have to pay. I am now back in england. Any ideas? I can't let it go because the boss is the biggest liar i've ever met and i don't want her to keep money that i have earnt.
Jan 5, 2007 18:23
  • GRIZ326
Were you teaching English?

Here is the dictionary definition:

earnt

1. (non-standard) Alternative form of English past and past participle earned, increasingly used, but still incorrect, in British English.

Oh....It's incorrect in US English too.
Jan 5, 2007 21:30
  • JEFFYANG
you can ask the president of that school!
and you also can call the education deaprtment od xi'an city,they will offer the help to you .
and you also can try customer help hotline 12315
they also can help you .
good luck to you !
Jan 6, 2007 21:55
  • CHYNAGYRL
In my experience, it's difficult or impossible to use legal means to get money back once you've left the country, especially a place like China. What I did to my school, when they cheated me, is I added their name to blacklists on the Internet. In addition, I filed a complaint about my school to the government, and they sent an investigator went to the school. However, the director *lied* and told them I stole the washing machine from the apartment and sold it for my personal gain. I think that Asian businesspeople often lie, so it's not a pleasant experience to try to get money from them.

You can try to
a) report them to Chinese government
b) AND register their name on all kinds of Internet blacklists for ESL schools. That will come up when future teachers check the school before signing a contract.

Anyhow, persistence and pressure can pay off. If it's a small amount, you might want to forget it because of the time required to get the money. Good luck.
Jan 6, 2007 22:01
  • YUHAOROMAN
hi,sommer27.I am sorry for your bad experience in China.

Pusuant to Article 79,labor law of P.R.C,
Where a labor dispute takes place, the parties involved may apply to the labor dispute mediation committee of their unit for mediation; if the mediation fails and one of the parties requests for arbitration, that party may apply to the labor dispute arbitration committee for arbitration. Either party may also directly apply to the labor dispute arbitration committee for arbitration. If one of the parties is not satisfied with the adjudication of arbitration, the party may bring the case to a people's court.

SO, in your case, firstly you should go to the local governmental labor department for mediation, normally, you can't reach any agreement through mediation, then you can ask for arbitration, if still failed, sue them. lawsuit,in most cases,is inevitable and almost the only way out.

For sure, you can go to the education department of XI'AN city to make a complaint, if you are lucky, the official maybe will interfere, but mostly, this lazy official will kick the ball to the labor department, as according to law, it is them who are in charge of the dispute.

you can try to contact your embassy or consulate to see if they can interfere, if so, your wage problem hopefully will promptly be solved before go to the court as your problem, in that case, become an political problem, a problem about the image of the government, which they value most.

if you have other problem, please contact me by:hotmail.com|yuhaoroman
Nov 2, 2007 01:35
GUESTSARUMAN You could try contacting Shane-SaxonCourt in London and asking if their guidelines for selling franchises to Chinese nationals include a requirement that owner-managers be crooked and deceitful. This was certainly the case at Hefei where I worked a few years ago. Or you could contact Shane's Head Office in Shanghai, but I wouldn't hold my breath for a positive response.
Nov 2, 2007 20:09
  • LEMONCACTUS
Hi Sommer27,

I'm sorry you've had a bad experience teaching in China. I fear Chinagyrl is right. I know of similar situations that weren't resolved from within China and I think it must be even harder to start doing it from outside China.

Positive things you can do to help others are to blacklist this school but be specific about naming the school as Saruman is right, it's a franchise, so not all Shane English Schools might be bad. I also think you should inform Saxon Court (UK recruiters for and opertaors of the franchise), as complaints to them might make a difference and force them to put pressure on the Chinese operators. Also complaining to their Head Office in China, as Saruman says. The more complaints the better! If enough people complain, eventually something may be done.

Good luck.
Post a Reply to: payment for teaching while travelling
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code