Menu
train to Xian
Jan 8, 2007 04:30
I would like to travel to Xian by train, either from Beijing or Shanghai, i have three little girls (they will be 6, 4 and 1)and husband: is anyone able to tell me the expected cost for this as well as time, i have read ablout the overnight soft sleeper (would this be ok). And do i book through agent or is any railway station fine.

From Xian to places of interest (terracotta, meseum, markets, tomb)would i be best to hire a guide with van for a few days (and how much should this cost) i realise that there must be good public transport as there would be a lot of people travelling, my concern was travelling with my girls (and pram).

thirdly (but not final) could you also please advise of a child friendly hotel (something simple not luxury)
Jan 8, 2007 22:06
  • EXLIFE
Hi Melissa,

welcome to xian.
1. trains from Shanghai or Beijing usually take you around 12 hours. Soft Sleeper is a comfortable choice, since you have three little children to take care of. And a 12-hour trip will be easier for them in the Soft sleeper carriage.
2. train ticket: in your post, you have not mentioned anything about your time of visit. the winter vacation is beginning, so all college students are trying to get a train ticket home. you can find long lines before every train ticket office all over china. therefore, if you want to travel before the spring festival, i think it is better to get tickets from an agent.
3. with children, i think it is a good idea to hire a guide. you could provide more details to him or her, so that he could make some preparations beforehand, such as which places of interest are you planing to see, how long are you going to spend in xian,etc
4. i think waiters in xian hotels are friendly to children, especially that you have three little angels. which hotel to stay depends on how much are you going to spend for a hotel room.
hope you wil enjoy your trip in xi an. any question or help, i am glad to help.
Jan 10, 2007 04:26
thankyou for your help. Are you able to advise as to the cost of softsleeper per adult and child, or cabin. Can you help me please with a guide that i could contact when in Xian or email, i would like to plan a budget so i know expexted cost, this will help me ascertain how long we can stay in China and what we can see.

thanks
Jan 16, 2007 19:35
  • EXLIFE
Hi Melissa,

I am not quite sure about the price, the following information is what i find on the internet:
trains from Beijing to Xian takes about 12 hours, hard seat:150CNY; hard sleeper: 265CNY for upper one,237CNY for the middle one; soft sleeper: CNY 417.

about children tickets: children travelling with adults shuold buy tickets at half price if they are 1.1 to 1.4 meters high. children taller than 1.4 meters should by full-price tickets. Every adult traveller is allowed to take along with one child that is no taller than 1 meter for free.

about the guide: you have to pay a guide at least 200CNY ONE DAY. this price is also what i find on the internet. i think a local student will be much cheaper.

by the way, when are you planning to visit xian?
Feb 4, 2007 07:23
  • JABAROOTOO
Gidday Melissa,

Exlife has been most helpful. If you'd like to do a litle more research online for ticket prices and train schedules, click on the 'search' icon on the top right of the page then to the 'trains' in the menu on the left column of the new window.

Your best option is to pay for all the berths (4) in the soft sleeper compartment.(two adults and 2 children) Very comfortable and you just have to go out to the bathrooms which are usually pretty good. Look for trains with K or T preceeding the number. These are fast or express trains and very comfortable.

Your hotel should be able to negotiate a car and driver for the day at a price, you can also post here and see what response you get but just be warned that not everyone who offers services is as good as they say.

I have the contact info of a guy at the TW outside Xian who I would reccommend for a personal guide. Speaks great English, loads of character and knows his stuff. We just met him over lunch in a little diner out there and he entertained us for nothing with some stories he usually tells his clients. You would have to regotiate your own fees. I have no idea what he charges. He's a school teacher in real life _history I think. Let me know if you're interested and i'll forward his details to you.

Feb 6, 2007 04:24
  • JEFFYANG
i used to work in China travel service and we are professional English tour guides .
if you like ,you can tell me your plan and we make a good travelling paln for you!
and offer the best price and best service !
and the cost just deapneds on your demand,the day stay long or your hotel level is high or the places more ,the cost will be high.
anyway,i would like to give you some general infroamtion for xi'an in advance !
wehther you chosse ue or not is not important, the most important thing is you get what you want at low cost.
best regards
163.com|zyq981125
Feb 13, 2007 19:32
  • DWOLSKI
Jabrootoo,

Please forward the name and contact info for English speaking guide in Xian to earthlink.net|wolski427. Thank you
Feb 14, 2007 05:13
  • JABAROOTOO
Dwolski:

I have posted a message to your mailbox with contact details. Please refer
Feb 14, 2007 05:17
  • JABAROOTOO
We stayed at a well priced Hotel called the Wu Yi of May Fifth which we were offered from the travel bureau at the Melody Hotel, another good choice which is where the airport shuttle bus comes and goes,just across the street form the Drum Tower. Trum Tower Hotel would be another option. So many mid range hotels in the city centre for you to choose from which can be searched and booked readily online.
Post a Reply to: train to Xian
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code