Menu
Got Rip Off for Lunch Bill at China, Hainan Island, Bo Ao!
Jan 9, 2007 09:32
  • MARTINHSK
We were in group of 4, traveling with local guide at Hainan, near a place called Bo Ao - check out a small local food cafe by the river. Look ordinary & backdated house with slightly poor hygiene. When we order for simple seafood meal for 4 persons includes prawns, crabs (no lobster) plus some local veggies. For failing to "negotiate" prices & pay off early before the meal, the bill came up to RMB1,767.00 equivalent to SGD353.00. That is more than a seafood meal at a low end 5-star hotel in Singapore. Its totally rip off...Its a very expensive lesson!

Jan 9, 2007 22:13
  • TEKNOMED
Like you since I first got rip-off in Quilin China, I always ask for the price of any dish I am about to order. Another thing never think that you get a better price when you are with your tour guide. In fact you will have to pay more because the restaurant or shop have to pay your tour guide a commission. It is always cheaper to travel without a tour guide in China.
Jan 10, 2007 17:40
  • GRIZ326
What a change! Rip offs in China!

A shop keeper in Shanghai ran all the way down Nanjing Boulevard (the big road that runs into the waterfront and had the #1 department store) just to return a few coins to me. The young man discovered he had given me the incorrect amount of change.

I saved the coins...I know at the time(1978) it might have been 5 cents American at most.

Things do not always change for the better.

Jan 11, 2007 00:17
  • MAY001
Hainan is the most favorite destination as well as the place "gain" most complains in today's China. Call the police/journalists once you got rip off.
Post a Reply to: Got Rip Off for Lunch Bill at China, Hainan Island, Bo Ao!
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code