Menu
Accommodation: Cheap, budget, inexpensive ?
Feb 3, 2007 17:55
  • APAULT
I often read posts which mention accommodation that is cheap, budget, or inexpensive, but just what do we each mean?

I have just read an old post which said inexpensive 544 RMB. ohhh! If you are a business traveller or earn a western professional salary, that might be true, but for me that is my total budget (travel, accom and food for 3 days).

What do you consider 'cheap' or budget? It would be interesting to know where most people fit.

(If there is a photo below, it is the least attractive room I stayed in... in Macau for 70RMB, though it was actually a very friendly place)

Feb 3, 2007 23:04
  • GRIZ326
The bars on the windows would have worried me...otherwise...no problem for me.

My trip this year will be based on a backpacker's budget.

I think 300-400 USD/week to cover everything except planes, trains, and gifts is a good number for me.
Feb 4, 2007 06:17
  • JABAROOTOO
Budget accommodation can vary between Y10 and Y120 per bed. It's also very relative to location, availability and season.

Sometimes there is little choice and you can still get a pretty good deal for less than Y30 per bed with private bathroom while other locations you cannot get a dorm room with community bathroom for less the Y60.

It's all relative. Sometimes it's easy to find and others you have to search high and low and spend some time.

The smaller the city and fewer travellers more often offer the best value for money and one must be content with a shower over the 'squat box' occasionaly. If it's clean and quiet there's no problem with this unless you are not well.

Some of the 'hostels' are not always as cheap as one would expect but they often have the atmosphere lacking in some of the other facilities. I find that small family guesthouses usually offer the best atmosphere and value for money and these can be found and many more places that are being frequented by backpackers from around the country and the around the world.
Post a Reply to: Accommodation: Cheap, budget, inexpensive ?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code