Menu
News article: “Global tourism soars, China set to surpass Spain”
Feb 5, 2007 11:06
  • ROGERINCA
I came across an interesting headline and news article earlier this week……

“Global tourism soars, China set to surpass Spain”

The news story went on to report that Global tourism hit a record high last year and China could soon surpass Spain as the world's second most popular destination, after France, according to the UN World Tourism Organization.

"With its great tourist capacity it could surpass Spain by 2010," a UN spokesman. UNWTO figures for 2006 showed arrivals to China had increased 6 percent on the previous year at 49.6 million, despite higher costs due to an appreciating Yuan, which gained some six percent on the dollar in the 18 months to the end of 2006. This while Spain's tourist intake rose 4.5 percent to 58.4 million in 2006, but Chinese growth is forecast to [accelerate] and overtake Spain in the coming four years, the UNWTO said.

"A country as large as China has more tourist capacity. China is generating a flux of tourism in the region," said the UNWTO director of market intelligence and promotion. The story went on to report, that of course, next year's Beijing Olympics will provide China with an added boost. Moreover, although the article doesn’t specifically mention this, when you look at the table of rankings, it also must mean that China will surpass the USA in destination-tourism, as it climbs to the #2 spot behind France.

World's Top Tourist Destinations
International Tourist Arrivals
Rank
1. France
2.Spain
3. USA
4. China
5. Italy
6. United Kingdon
7. Mexico
8. Germany
9. Turkey
10. Russian Federation

Ranking Data collected through 2005.
Source: World Tourism Organization (WTO).

Feb 7, 2007 01:18
  • CALIFORNIA
I am sure tt:-)

And China will go to the top early or late:-)
Sep 28, 2007 10:39
  • APAULT
I doubt that the rising value of th RMB is hgoing to make much difference. A 6% rise in 18 months is 4% a year. But the cost of goods and services is perhaps on average10 times greater than here, or in percentages 1000% of Chinese prices. It's going to take a lot of 4% increases to erode that price difference.
Sep 28, 2007 15:28
  • ERENCIUS
Quote:
"And China will go to the top early or late:-)"

Still got a lot of time i guess ;) Just for Paris: it is about 70 million people a year coming from abroad ;)
Even Spain got time with cities such as Granada, Cordoba Sevilla.
Sep 28, 2007 20:54
  • CONNY129
Welcome to China,haha~

I hope it tells the truth but we all know that it is a big challenge.

Post a Reply to: News article: “Global tourism soars, China set to surpass Spain”
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code