Menu
Chinese Cuisine Withdrawal Syndrome !!! :)
Feb 5, 2007 12:32
  • ROGERINCA
Having just returned last week from Guangzhou, I am already suffering from Chinese Cuisine Withdrawal Syndrome (CCWS) !! Which will only be satisfied/cured by my next trip to China in May !! LOL :)

While I do enjoy most regional styles of Chinese cooking, I especially like the Cantonese/Guangzhou school/style the most; followed then, by the much more spicy Sichuan style of cooking. In Guangzhou there are so many thousands of great restaurants to choose from, which offer many styles of cooking in addition to the local Cantonese variety.

It is true, there are many Chinese in California and in the city in which I live, as well as many great Chinese restaurants; however, the style of cooking here is very much ‘Americanized’ to fit the taste/palate of the average (non-ethnic Chinese) person in this country. Now that I have been introduced to the ‘real-thing’, it is difficult for me to still enjoy Chinese/American food as much as I once did.

I have many friends who either own or work in my local Chinese restaurants. Most of them, like most of the Chinese in California, are from Southern China, Guangdong/Guangzhou/Shenzhen and Guangxi. Sometimes, if I am really lucky, they will share with me the more authentic food they prepare for themselves, during their own lunch period !!

What also amazes me is how inexpensive really great food is in China !!!

A six or eight course meal which most likely would cost $60.00 or more in an American Chinese restaurant, can be had for about $15 to $20 in China and the quality and freshness of ingredients is far superior in most cases.

What I really miss most, however, is the fresh fish, prepared many ways; as it is impossible to find fresh fish served in Chinese restaurants near my home. One must travel nearly two hours by car to San Francisco‘s China Town, to enjoy real Chinese style fish.
Feb 5, 2007 19:26
  • CONNY129
welcome back,Roger :)
Feb 5, 2007 23:29
  • ROGERINCA
Dear Conny, thank you so much !!! :) It is good to be back and I look forward to communicating with you again !!! Nice photo Conny !!! :) I hope you and your family are well !!
Feb 6, 2007 09:15
  • APAULT
Yes, Roger, wb, and I agree about CCWS, though I am less impressed by the Guangdong food that you favour, they don't seem to have discovered chillies yet. Can't wait to get back.
Feb 6, 2007 14:29
  • ROGERINCA
Thanks Paul !!

What is great about the large city of Guangzhou, is that even though the hot/spicy seasoning is not a typical component of their Cantonese style, one can find many Sichuan and Hunan style restaurants, in all price ranges, throughout the city and wherein you can have all the red chilies you want !!
Feb 6, 2007 20:00
  • MAY001
Cantonese is the one even we Chinese consider strange/great cos they are brave enough to eat everything.

Do you have some special dishes when you are in Guangdong, Roger?
Feb 7, 2007 00:37
  • CONNY129
Mmm...... Canton cuisine emphasize particularly on fresh and lite taste, I like it, it has much more nutrition than fried or spicey food I believe :P
Feb 7, 2007 01:15
  • ROGERINCA
Yes, this is correct Conny !! Fresh and lite is a good way to put it !!
Also, I think creative and beautiful presentation too !!!

Yes, May, I like the vegetable dishes such as the seasoned bok choy, the egg plant and other vegetables. Also, as I have said before I like the fresh fish which is prepared many different ways. I like the shrimp and I like the many pork and chicken dishes too. The only dish I do not like, is the ones made with the intestine or other internal organs of the pig or cow.

While I do like the fried foods, I try to minimize my consumption and stick to those foods that are not cooked in a lot of oil !!
Post a Reply to: Chinese Cuisine Withdrawal Syndrome !!! :)
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code