Menu
Shanxi Local Taboos
Feb 7, 2007 01:55
  • MIRANDAZHAO
Hello everyone, this is my first time to write sth for the forum. Yes, I'm the so-called lurker... Anyway, I like the new face of the forum, so I want to do sth now.
Feb 7, 2007 01:58
  • MIRANDAZHAO
My hometown is a small village in Shanxi province and I was told many taboos when I was young. Most of them are vanished with time passing by, some still survive till now.

Feb 7, 2007 02:06
  • MIRANDAZHAO
Residential Taboo:

Residential houses is very important for people since almost half of our lives are spent in our houses. In China's countryside, houses is considered specially important as one's own estate. Whether the house is big or not, good or bad is a symbol of the fortune of a family and the talent of the family members. So, to build a house is the utmost thing for a family.
Feb 7, 2007 02:12
  • MIRANDAZHAO
As a part of the village, the new house should be harmonious with other houses and the whole villages. There are two kinds of raditional Shanxi residential houses, cave dwelling and normal building. The site should be facing the south so that the house can have more sunshine. One can not build the house in a too dry or too humid and shady place.
Feb 7, 2007 02:20
  • MIRANDAZHAO
Villagers don't want their doors and courtyards facing open ground. So they'd rather change the door to another direction, e.g. to another one's house, the street of the village. If they can't change the door to another direction, they will lay a bottle of water in front of the door, which can bless the family according to their belief. The door is also not allowed to face river, well and road. If one can not change the door, a mirror will be hanging on the door to protect the family and drive away evils.
Feb 7, 2007 02:25
GUEST21130 Besides, one can not place face his door to other's door. It's believed that the door-to-door situation will do harm to both families. The door of front courtyard also can not be faced directly to the house's door. That is why there is a wall right behind the courtyard door in many traditional Chinese houses.
Feb 7, 2007 02:26
  • MIRANDAZHAO
o, no, I've been kicked off...
Feb 7, 2007 03:17
Industrious girl~~~
Feb 8, 2007 03:57
  • LEOPOLD219
Come on, tell us more!
Feb 20, 2007 22:15
  • GIREESH
I think its all based on Feng Shui...am i right?
Apr 7, 2007 11:20
  • OLDSCHOOL
I have seen this word before- can you explain the meaning?

sth ?
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Shanxi Local Taboos
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code