Menu
The Senior
Feb 7, 2007 03:29
I've been to some cities around Shanghai and had the chance to take their buses. Amazingly, I was for the most time surounded by seniors. Has China become an aged society? Curious about it. ^_^
Feb 7, 2007 04:13
  • ANTHEA
Yes report shows that the rapidity of the population's aging in China has become a serious problem, and will reach a peak time in five years.
Feb 7, 2007 08:40
  • TOAD
Is it true that most people in china retire quite early and gets a pension from the state? With better health care alot of people will get to live much longer. So anthea is right. An aging population will put serious strain on those supporting them.
Feb 7, 2007 19:01
  • SIVA
  • Community Moderator
Report said that 0.1 billion people in China is senior now and China is entering to an Aged Society. What's more, because of the family planning program, fewer kid was born in the past tens of years. The only kid of one family may marry another only kid of a family. When the couple have a baby, the family will be comprised of Four Seniors (the parents of each part), Two Middle-aged (the couple) and One Kid. 4-2-1 will put great pressures to the couple who have to earn money to support the family and take care to the seniors.
Feb 7, 2007 21:34
  • CALIFORNIA
So terrible~~~~~~
Feb 8, 2007 09:03
  • APAULT
Wheen I first travelled on the buses in Shijazhuang I twice gave up my seat to elderly women with children about 7 or 8 years old. Instead of the grandmother sitting down and holding the child close to her, they gave the seat to the child and continued standing. So since then I only give up my seat to childless grannies! OK, I do understand the rationale and cultural difference, but what has happened to that age old tradition of respect for the elderly?
Feb 8, 2007 19:51
  • MAY001
Yes, paul, I noticed and experienced the same thing. It's hard to blame the kids cos their grandma/pa insisted that. The grandma/pa overindulge kids too much that kids don't know what they should do. Most of Chinese seniors like their grandson/daughter very much. That's bad for kids cultivation and education!

Plus, I'll never let my parents or parents-in-law to bring up my baby. :)
Post a Reply to: The Senior
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code