Menu
The Spring Festival eve should be included in the legal holiday
Feb 7, 2007 19:10
  • ANTHEA
Some mainstream medias in China said that the the Spring Festival eve should be included in the legal holiday, this has arouse attention and support from all circles.

The State Department has published the statutory holiday of the Spring Festival in 2007 is from Feb 17 to 24.That's to say, most of the people who do not work in their hometown city can not enjoy the reunion dinner with their family on the Spring Festival eve.

So what's your idea on this?
Feb 8, 2007 00:52
  • HEIDI
Spring Festival is the most important traditional festival in China, and the reunion diner on the Spring Festival Eve is a highlight of the day. Seniors must wish to spend the day with sons and daughters especially for those working in the remote area. Greatly hope that the Chinese Government consider putting the day in the seven day's holiday.
Feb 8, 2007 02:46
  • LEOPOLD219
I'd rather stay at home to avoid the terrible Spring Transportation!
Feb 9, 2007 08:36
  • APAULT
I think Leopold is on the right track. China has these golden weeks where transport is a real problem. it would be far better if the government legislated that workers must receive a set number of days holiday each year plus a number of public holidays like Spring Festival that everyone gets. This is what happens in most of the developed world: we still have some congestion like Christmas, but we take our holidays through the year.
Feb 12, 2007 00:21
  • CALIFORNIA
I agree with tt:-)
Feb 12, 2007 04:02
  • ELLEN77
Hello apault, I'm curious about your holidays. what do you mean by the additional holidays for the workers? are they set by the private companies and differ from one another? I'm quite envying you.
Mar 3, 2007 10:29
  • LIONPOWER
Problem every where.

Scheduled holiday at a time means Tiffin break in school or office or factory, causes transportation jam.

Self scheduled holiday? OK, will reduce traffic jam.

How we will run our office or factory if partly closed for self scheduled holiday?
Mar 4, 2007 07:48
  • APAULT
Hi Ellen. In most developed countries, there are various public holidays throughout the year. Christmas, New Year and Easter are common to most countries. Many 'Christian countries' have various historical Saints days as one day holidays. Most countries have a National Day and a Labour day just like China. Many have a day to remember fallen (killed) soldiers, and in Australia the Queen's Birthday. In one city in Australia (Melbourne) there is a holiday for a special horse race, and in a few smaller towns a day for the agricultural show! In Australia we have about 10 of these days. Also we generally have 4 weeks holiday which they can take at any time in agreement with their employer. So in all, we have 6 weeks holiday. (But our present government is trying to reduce the holidays by removing workers rights)
Mar 4, 2007 20:25
  • PEA28COCK
Thanks for your infro. Apault. I'm even more envying you since you have so many holidays and many in your charge. Now China is also doing some about the lawful holidays, hoping we can also having more freedom and the inconveniece especially by the TRVEL HOT could be released somehow.
Mar 4, 2007 20:27
  • ELLEN77
Please forgive me, Peacock. I 'steal' your accout again. It's me in the above. The technical problem is so annoying.
Post a Reply to: The Spring Festival eve should be included in the legal holiday
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code