Menu
Golden Pig Year: Auspicious or Suspicious?
Feb 8, 2007 00:35
  • SERENA07
The year of 2007 is the “Year of the Pig” according to the Chinese zodiac. Pig always means wealth or luck in the opinion of many Chinese people. However, it is not an ordinary pig year in the turn of 12 years. Many people believe that it is the “Year of the Golden Pig” which comes every 600 years.

According to Chinese Taoist philosophy, there are five elements influencing the world and people’s fate. They are metal, water, wood, fire, and earth. If the number of a year ends in 6 or 7, it is a fire year. So the year of 2007 is actually a Pig Year blessed by the golden fire.

There comes a problem: people say babies born in the golden pig year will have comfortable and wealthy lives. Statistics show that many women plan to give birth to babies this year. That may result in a baby boom which will later cause a series of problems such as acute competition for schooling and employment.

What’s your opinion on this issue? Do you believe in the “Golden Pig Year”?

Feb 8, 2007 00:45
  • ROGERINCA
I have a question in this regard......

When I was at supper tonight, in a local Chinese restaurant, I noticed a calendar on the wall and also a Tsingtao beer advertisement, both of which said "2007 The Year of the Boar" and it had a painting of a wild boar, not a domestic pig !!??

Is this because the Pig is not thought of in a good manner but the wild Boar is viewed as strong and exciting ??

Are the Pig and the Boar intermixed on the Chinese Calendar ??
Feb 8, 2007 01:52
  • HEIDI
I was born in a Pig year, and when I took the college entrance exam in 2002, I surprisingly found that a great many of students in my age going in for the exam as well. So many competitors!

However, when I graduated from the university, again a large umber of graduates all need to hunt jobs like me. So there was a fierce competition in finding a job for me at that time. Maybe this will also be the result many years later which will be caused by the situation you just mentioned.
Feb 8, 2007 02:19
  • SERENA07
Hi, Roger,

“Year of the Boar”?Sorry, I haven’t heard this parlance. I think “Year of the Pig” is much more acceptable. Actually, pig means wealth, luck, or some other good things in China and people want the whole year of 2007 to be blessed by the cute pig, not the horrific boar.

Maybe the pig on the picture you have seen is a little exaggerated…
Feb 8, 2007 03:07
A boar? LOL!!
It should be a domestic pig!!! To Chinese, pigs symbolize the belessed. It is lovely and always lucky.
Feb 8, 2007 03:24
  • ROGERINCA
No, it is true, I saw this at the Chinese restaurant today !!

Feb 8, 2007 03:26
  • ROGERINCA
These, and others like it were on Calendars and wall hangings on the walls of the restaurant.

Feb 8, 2007 03:52
  • MENG
Hi Heidi,
I don't think it is because you were born in the year of pig. Also, I was born in the year of mouse that follows the pig and I had to face the same problem with you. I think it is because the large population of China.
Feb 8, 2007 03:54
  • SENORITA
ha, It might be the Theme of the Party, the New Year's Party. :)
OR
It is just the 'Boar' that suits the picture on it , wild and, say, vigorous ?
Feb 8, 2007 03:57
  • LEOPOLD219
Commercial Action...
Feb 8, 2007 05:39
GUEST19367 On the ground here in China, most things PIGGY, ARE BOTH CUTE AND PINK, definately the domestic kind and the younger and cuter the better.

Perhaps Qingtao Beer wanted a more masculine and robust image to promote thier beer to the typical beer drinker.

I know that in Australia where 'real' men drink only ice cold beer and some of them even indulge in the 'SPORT' of 'boar shooting', they would most likely laugh down a beer company who used the humble, abeit cute pink domestic variety of swine to advertise a beer.

Here's a few different words for the pig.

Piglet (Pooh bear's little friend made famous)
HOG or hogget (young pig)
boar (typically has long tusks and is quite aggressive)
sow (female)
swine (general term)

Have I missed any or got something wrong???
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Golden Pig Year: Auspicious or Suspicious?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code