Menu
NY City to Forbid Pedestrians Using Sell Phone while Crossing Road
Feb 8, 2007 20:06
  • HEIDI
This morning, I heard a news from the radio that New York City will set up an regulation to forbid pedestrians listening to he iPod or using sell phones when crossing the road. Those who violate the regulation will be penalized 100 dollars. The new regulation aims to cut down the probability of traffic accident.

Since September, 2006, three pedestrians have been killed by cars when crossing the road in NY. All are killed because they were using sell phones or listening to some electronic products while crossing the road.

After voting procedures, the law may come into effect in NY. And the regulation may be adopted in the whole America.

In China, there is no definite regulation to forbid people using sell phones when we cross the road. And I have found many people using phones or listen to MP3 while crossing the road. It is really dangerous to do so. However, do you think the law made by NY City will be useful to forbid the situation?
Feb 8, 2007 22:00
  • MAY001
I'm sure Apple will be angry on hearing this. ^o^
Feb 9, 2007 08:51
  • APAULT
So New Yorkers won't be able to use mobile phones in the street, just their guns. Strange country!
Feb 28, 2007 18:59
  • TRAVELDREAM
Good regulation! I believe China should follow suit, hehe~~~ Careless pedestrians can be seen everywhere in China, sometimes too annoying for car drivers. China government should enact more regulations to restrict 'carefree' pedestrians. What do you guys think?
Feb 28, 2007 19:36
  • MAY001
Yes, I agree! Careless pedestrians, including me sometimes, really deserve more regulations and restrictions. But I'm wondering how NY to achieve this regulation. Are there enough police to watch out the pedestrains?
Feb 28, 2007 20:59
  • CHRISWAUGHBJ
I disagree. I think this is a good example of a regulation going too far. Instead of encouraging personal responsibility, the government is acting like a nanny and treating all the citizens like small children. There should definitely be strict safety regulations, yes, and they should be enforced, but at the same time we must take responsibility for our actions. Cellphones and ipods do not cause traffic accidents, careless people do.

As for China's traffic, all the regulations must be enforced, including agains careless, reckless, or dangerous drivers. It's not only careless pedestrians and cyclists causing problems here.
Feb 28, 2007 23:54
  • ROGERINCA
Chris, I am not by any means an expert at linguistics; however, your writing style is strikes me, as that of a native English speaker !!?? LOL :)

I agree with your thought process herein, and will respond more in the next day, as I have some specific background on this issue.

I would have responded to this thread sooner, but I was [turned off] by some previous comments in this thread. If I had responded earlier, it would have been an angry response and out of character for me. LOL
Mar 1, 2007 19:25
  • CHRISWAUGHBJ
Well, actually, I am a native speaker of English. Well, New Zealand English, anyway. I'm not sure about the impressions I've given people since I started participating here, but there you go, just to make things clear: I'm a Kiwi living in Beijing. And I'm not a linguist, either, I've just spent most of my life either studying or teaching languages (in the last few years, I've been doing both at the same time).

Well, I'm looking forward to a more detailed response from you.

Mar 2, 2007 23:14
  • LIONPOWER
May001
Are there enough police to watch out the pedestrains?

Have you idea about CCTV security system?
Post a Reply to: NY City to Forbid Pedestrians Using Sell Phone while Crossing Road
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code