Menu
How do you feel about China?
Feb 24, 2007 09:13
  • APAULT
I guess my views about modern China are similar to Griz's. The cities are so often the same. Unfortunately so muuch has been destroyed by the Japanese, by the cultural Revolution, and by economic progress since the Reforms. I often say to friends that China is not as Chinese as I expected! Also I expected there would be some semblance of socilaism, but China is more capitalist than most western countries ie: the bosses can do almost what they like. I was also surprised to see how aggressive the driving is especially as most people are so laid back in other situations. An attitude of I have a car I am privileged, get out of my way. This is not part of the harmonious society that we spend so much time talking about in the classroom.

However I have not travelled to the north and west so there is a lot more to see yet! I had to leave for family reasons, but I will be back, hopefully teaching again form 1 September, so I must enjoy living in China.
Feb 25, 2007 03:00
  • EVENING
Hi all,
Thanks for all your comments on China!

In fact, China is now under development. It can not be avoided that there are some unlpeasant thinngs in our ecomomy, politics and society. We chinese believe that we are doing our best to develop our nation while retaining our particular and wonderful culture!

Teachers, merchants, students, or just travellers, no matter who you are, China welcomes you friends from all over the world. It always greets you with its profound history, multiple cultures and beautifu land! Just for you to explore!

Thanks all! ^_^
evening
Feb 25, 2007 12:23
  • LIONPOWER
I am personally doubtful about your retaining particular and wonderful culture! Specially the new age people, leaving their long historical culture and adopting other (not to explain now)
Feb 25, 2007 19:45
  • EVENING
China is open to the world and of course it will be influenced by other culture. But most chinese, especially those well-educated are doing best to maintain the profound culture! China has lowered the university entrance standard in order to let more people receive higher education! The more they learn, the better they will know how to keep the culture!

Another thing is that China has made more legal vacations for those traditional Chinese Festival! This will help a lot to maintain the peculiar culture!

Anyhow, China is making efforts to maintain its five thousand history culture. This is a hard and long term mision! I personally believe that in this global village, China will have a unique figure enriched by its long history and mysterious culture!
Feb 25, 2007 21:56
  • LIONPOWER
Evening,
Your writing standard improved
Xie xie
Feb 26, 2007 23:29
  • CHRISWAUGHBJ
My usual answer to questions like this is: China is very big. Which means, it's just too hard to describe easily.

I've been living in China for seven years now and have no intention of leaving. What does that tell you?

To address a point raised by several people: Although it is true that some Chinese people equate modernisation with westernisation and there is a huge "Western" influence on modern China, it is not true that 'old' or 'real' or 'traditional' China is disappearing. An honest look at history will show you that China has influenced and been influenced by other cultures throughout its history (e.g. Tang Xuan Zang's Journey to the West- there is a real story behind the novel and tv shows) and yet Chinese culture has remained strong. China will continue to borrow from and lend to its neighbours, as it always has, and China will remain strongly and proudly China.
Feb 27, 2007 03:28
  • MIRANDAZHAO
Yes, China is big, and also complicated to be identified. Only if you came here and stay for a long time you may begin to know her and her people.
Feb 27, 2007 11:24
  • LIONPOWER
No, Mirandazhao, Not agree with you.

If you (local people) in side a home, or village, district or province, you can’t realize China. May be some knowledge through media coverage.

You did not see yourself until or unless stand in front of Mirror.
So foreigner may have better knowledge about China as they are visiting many places in a year. No need to stay long time to get the knowledge.

Learn about 5 thousand years of Chinese history, open your eyes and see the new generation.

Don’t be disheartened.
After all ---
Thanks for your post
Mar 1, 2007 00:47
  • APAULT
I agree with Evening: there is a lot of effort being made to improve life in China, it is a very dynamic country, and so right that everyone welcomes visitors (that's a nicer word than foreigners), I always find people top talk to...even without a common language.
Mar 1, 2007 01:16
  • RENOLDAD
China is a very nice place,the people are warm hearted,kind,loving.My stay in China was very good in the sense that I felt welcomed,respected & like I was at the right place.All I can say is that China has a nice culture & it accomodate eaveyone.
Page 2 of 6    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: How do you feel about China?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code