Menu
Starbucks faces eviction from the Forbidden City
Feb 10, 2007 01:50
  • TRAVELREN
The Starbucks coffeeshop in the Forbidden City might be forced to leave after an online campaign against it started by CCTV anchor Mr Rui on his blogs on Sina and CCTV.
Rui said "The Forbidden City is a symbol of China's cultural heritage. Starbucks in a symbol of lower middle class culture in the west. We need to embrace the world, but we also need to preserve our cultural identity. There is a fine line between globalisation and contamination." He also mentioned that "But please don't interpret this as an act of nationalism. It is just about we Chinese people respecting ourselves. I actually like drinking Starbucks coffee. I am just against having one in the Forbidden City."
What is your comment for Starbucks in the Forbidden City from the angle of a tourist?
Notice is a tourist,is not a politician.
http://www.gooberztravel.com
Feb 10, 2007 08:56
  • APAULT
I'm behing Mr Rui. The Forbidden City is a special place, it is uniquely Chinese, it should not be spoilt with anything foreign.
Feb 10, 2007 09:45
  • CHYNAGYRL
Hurray! I think the Forbidden City will be much nicer without Starbucks. Actually Starbucks is seen as intrusive in other parts of the world too, like Korea and Canada, where they are outcompeting local businesses. And their coffee isn't that great either. A lot of people think McDonald's coffee (99cents a cup) tastes better than Starbucks coffee.
Feb 13, 2007 10:41
  • GRIZ326
Absolutely agree with Rui!

Annapolis, Maryland was once a beautiful historic town outside of Washington, DC. Quaint was the word frequently associated with its unique flavor.

Then one day one of the shopping mall franchises bought a building in the historic district, modernized a bit and put their fancy store in...then another...and another...and another.... Annapolis was ruined. The only thing historic about it now is knowing that history happened there. :(
Feb 13, 2007 18:46
  • MAY001
I don't care about Starbuck in the Forbidden City as a tourist cos I even didn't notice it when I was there. LOL As a Chinese, I think it is better to end the contract with Starbuck, which is not suitable to Forbidden City. For the convenience of the tourists, we can sell Chinese tea, bottled water, etc.
Feb 17, 2007 10:05
  • LIONPOWER
Here also you prefering Chinese tea?
Feb 17, 2007 15:38
  • ROGERINCA
Two points:

#1. First, for clarification, Quote: Rui said "The Forbidden City is a symbol of China's cultural heritage. Starbucks in a symbol of ‘lower middle class’ culture in the west“.

The lower middle class in America, does not drink Starbucks !! They cannot afford the cost It is a symbol of some middle, and mostly upper middle and upper class status/culture in my western country.

#2. This is a decision only for China and the Chinese people to make. I understand the sensitivity of an historic site.

Last, I am aligned with my friend from Canada; I enjoy coffee, but I do not drink Starbucks coffee. I think Starbucks coffee is overrated. I think it tastes terrible, and they serve it too hot. Moreover, it is too expensive !! Many other outlets in my area serve superior tasting coffee for less than half the price !! Most good hotels, restaurants and breakfast shops in my state, serve Farmer Brothers brand; it has been around for decades, it is not trendy, it is just flavorful, satisfying and not so expensive !! Why pay more for bad !!?? Again, Starbucks is not about a really great cup of coffee; it is about status and trendy image. All of which, is fleeting, in today’s consumer market.

This is my opinion :)

Feb 18, 2007 08:48
  • APAULT
I've never been in a Starbucks anywhere. I really should at least once....hell YES, time I took a risk in life !!
Post a Reply to: Starbucks faces eviction from the Forbidden City
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code