Menu
Compulsorry Military Service
Feb 11, 2007 08:55
  • APAULT
I believe all Chinese young people must spend some time in the military. My countries, Australia and Britain stopped doing this many years ago as it was considered a waste of time. The leaders consider that the money is better spent on a smaller professional military.

What do Chinese people think about doing compulsory Military Service?
Feb 11, 2007 19:12
  • CATHERINE
No it's not compulsory for Chinese youth to be in the army. Instead, because of the large population in China, to be in the army is not that easy. There are some restrictions on your education level, physical condition and family background.
Feb 11, 2007 20:27
  • ELLEN77
Yes, we have no compulsory military service, but for the new students of the high school, and university, they have compulsive military exercise. I still rememer the slogan we call in the excercise; Standard Political thoughts, strong military quality, good morality and styles of life, strict disciplines, effective support, which is the standard for the soliders.
and the parading ceremony is also very sublime and impressive for me. Goose steps, 'Shouzhang Hao' (Hello my leader), 'Tongzhimen Xinku Le' (Diligent companies), 'Wei Renmin Fuwu' (Serve for the people)...
Feb 11, 2007 22:14
  • ROGERINCA
I let you ladies post ahead of me in case my knowledge was faulty :) :) LOL

Article 55 of the PR China Constitution is the legal basis/authority for the current law (1984-Military Service Law) which allows for conscription into the reserve forces, at age 18-22 for compulsory military service, with a 24-month service obligation.

[However], while conscription has existed in theory since the establishment of the People's Republic of China in 1949; it is in fact, ‘very selective,’ due to China's very large population and the large number/pool of quality individuals who do [volunteer] to join the armed forces. In this regard, a draft has never occurred, with most young men, never seeing military service.

In the West, conscription isn’t politically popular, and historically, voters have been loath to support it unless they can see a very convincing, direct threat to the nation’s borders or at least its vital interests. The draft was still in place when I finished college in the very late 60's/early 70's, so I was required to give my two years of active service, followed by four years of reserve service. Military service provided me with not only additional technical training/schooling, but life-experience, discipline and maturity, which I would call on later in life as a law enforcement professional. For me, it was not a waste of time !! :) Moreover, I did not see any of Asia, while in the service; I spent all of my time on the South Atlantic region of the Earth. :)

Feb 12, 2007 03:45
  • MIRANDAZHAO
I've read stories about an Asian American officer who refused to go to Iraq and his mother who support him by parade to oppose the 'illegal Iraq war'. How do you think about the officer's action?
Feb 12, 2007 08:50
  • APAULT
Sorry, I stand corrected! I know my university students spent time on Military education and activities but I thought other young people also reprted for such training. The photo shows some students 'in uniform'.

In answer to Miranda, I believe that if you voluntarily join the armed services you must serve where the government says. If you don't want to lose control of your life, don't join the military!

Post a Reply to: Compulsorry Military Service
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code