Menu
shanghai apartments
Feb 12, 2007 03:15
  • VELIVOLUS

Will be arriving in Shanghai in mid-April. Would love to find a nice apartment with bathroom and kitchen, where it's quiet at night (or I'll have trouble sleeping), for around 1500rmb, for a 2-3 month stay... Is it possible? Any suggestions for places I might want to check out?
Thanks a lot.
Feb 13, 2007 03:40
  • ELLYSE
Most places would prefer to rent for at least 6 months.
With your budget, I think you would be limited to districts like Pudong,
Minhang, Changning and Putuo which are further from the city centre. The rent does NOT cover your electricity and water bills, which you would have to fork out separately for.
What are you in Shanghai for, since you're staying so long?
Feb 14, 2007 18:25
  • VELIVOLUS
Thanks for your reply Ellyse.
You say most prefer to rent for at least 6 months. Are there any places more willing to accomodate foreign visitors, who will be there for only 2 or 3 months?
Is it a big problem to be further from the city center? So long as I can get there when I need to, I won't mind! I am most concerned about an area that will be quiet at night, since I suspect I will have trouble sleeping if there is a lot of traffic noise outside, etc.
I am coming to Shanghai for personal enrichment. I have been studying Mandarin for awhile and want to improve my language skills, and also to become better acquainted with Chinese culture.
Feb 15, 2007 01:30
  • ELLYSE
You might consider serviced apartments, but I don't think those would be within your budget. Most landlords prefer to rent for 6 months or even more, especially if you're a foreigner!
Since it looks like you'll be studying Mandarin, sign up for a short-term course at a university which would also provide accommodation: not for free, but for a reasonable price which also includes hot water and electricity so that you don't have to waste time figuring out how to live here.
The only places which I know prices for are where I'm studying (Shanghai Conservatory of Music) and Fudan University. At the former it's 35 RMB/day for a bed in twin-sharing, shared washing facilities = about 1100 RMB/month; at the latter it's about 1800 RMB/month for a bed in twin-sharing but ensuite washing facilities and shared kitchen. The same 1800 RMB/month would get you a single room with shared washing facilities at the former, since the rate per day is 60 RMB. Both places have 24-hour hot water showers and aircon, at the former you also get TV for free. Hope I haven't confused you too much.
Feb 25, 2007 06:23
You may apply for a part time job of English teacher in the school.
Mar 28, 2007 16:37
  • NIHAOSH
try this, but probably their price doesn't fit you..

shanghaiedge.com
Post a Reply to: shanghai apartments
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code