Menu
Plight of girls with doctor's degree in China.
Feb 12, 2007 03:43
  • HEIDI
In China, usually a girl with a doctor's degree is difficult to find a boyfriend let alone find one to marry. It is said that boys are afraid to marry them due to their high-level of education and will feel inferior to them when stay with them together. And also there are some other reasons.

Is it the same situation in other counties?
Feb 12, 2007 06:24
  • CHETWYND
Hello Heidi,
I have just joined this forum, and you are the first person I am communicating with.

It is my experience that in western countries men tend to admire women who are intelligent and well qualified. I don't think you would have the same problems as you seem to be having in China.

The problem that you will face if you move to a western country will be getting permission to Practice Medicine. But that can be overcome by doing conversion courses.

Good luck!

Steve
Feb 12, 2007 08:33
  • APAULT
I think there should be many men who would like to meet or marry highly educated women. You are right, of course, that some are frightened off, but I guess that is true of girls who are extra tall or a bit short, a bit heavier....or ...whatever it might be. You have to look around. I guess the difference from many other countries is that there are fewer opportunities to look around, there are less meeting places and situations. And parents don't always understand if you go out checking out the fellas, or when you meet one and 'discard' him after a while as unsuitable. To most young people in western countries that is all part of the fun, but in China it seems to create stress for many young people.

You are lucky to be in the new China and have the education, but perhaps you are unlucky though that not all the social arranagements and customs support the new situation. I am sure most educated girls will find suitable men :)
Feb 12, 2007 20:49
  • HEIDI
Hi Steve,

I'm lucky to be the first person you communicate with. Warmly welcome to join us and talk with us with more topics.

I think maybe what I said has made both you and Apault misunderstood. In fact I'm not a doctor. The situation I mentioned is learned from TV and also in real life. As far as I know, when a girl got the doctor's degree in China, she will be nearly 30 years old. According to the Chinese traditional custom, a girl had better marry at the age around 25. If a girl still remains single until 30, no boy is willing to marry her because of the thinking that she may have some problems.

In old times, girls even marry at much earlier ages, maybe 18. However, at present, because more and more girls get high education, they usually marry comparatively late. But for girls with doctor's degree, the problems like what I have mentioned still exist. According to my understanding, this is mainly due to the fear of the high education to many boys. Cauz nearly everyone thinks husband should have higher education and earn more money to support the family than his wife in China. Or many problems will appear in the family.

Have a good day!
Feb 13, 2007 07:13
  • CHETWYND
OK Thanks for clarifying that for me Heidi.

From my experience in China there are still many things which are seen in a quite traditional way by people. Of course this is now changing very fast, like you say, as people are becoming more educated and earning better money.

I guess overall this is a good thing, but personally I will be very disappointed when the Chinese have all adopted the MacDonalds culture and left their own rich and vibrant culture to play second fiddle.

In the west, women are marrying at much older ages, and from what you say the Chinese women are following suit. I guess the Chinese guys will just have to get used to it!!

Thanks for the warm welcome. I am sure we will share many ideas in the future.

Take care.

Steve
Feb 13, 2007 20:39
  • HEIDI
Yes, western culture has influenced Chinese young generations greatly. Most Chinese seniors can't understand them. They say that the society has changed a lot.

In China, festivals like Christmas Day and Valentine's Day have become quite popular festivals among Chinese youth. And western foods like MacDonalds, KFC and PizzaHut are favored by more and more people even little children.

It seems that western festivals are more popular than some traditional Chinese ones like the Chinese Valentine's Day (Double Seventh Festival - the seventh day of seventh lunar month) in their eyes. It's really a pity to learn this. But the situation, I think, is only popular among Chinese young guys not the whole China. I don't mean to deny the western culture but hope every Chinese could pay more attention to our rich and glorious culture.
Feb 15, 2007 04:23
  • CHETWYND
Hi again Heidi,

well, I guess there will always be costs to any society which meets other societies, but then there will be benefits as well. I think that Chinese society will find its own way as it develops from the old China to the new China.

The Chinese people I have met are well aware of the changes that are happening, both good and bad, and from my experience they will take what they want and keep the things that are important to them.

Its really a pleasure for me to be in China. I enjoy the people very much, and I quite like the hustle and bustle. It always amazes me just how orderly and peaceful it all feels despite the sheer numbers.

Take care
Steve
Post a Reply to: Plight of girls with doctor's degree in China.
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code