Menu
A Battle of Wits
Feb 12, 2007 19:55
  • MELODYCHOW
Never be surprised by this post title. This is a famous Chinese movie that shows a truceless China in two thousand years ago. I like the movie very much, not becasue how much I'm interested in history or care on millitary, but the idea that the movie wants to express: "Universal love is the only path towards peace. Those who only know how to defend a city cannot bring peace to the world. Peace lies on the kings of all nations." - which is put forward by the famous ancient Chinese ideologist and strategist- Mozi.

I think Mozi's thought of peace also apply to the condition in modern times. Universal love makes world-peace, isn't it?? A Battle of Wits - That's a movie really worth watching. Hope you will like it.

Feb 12, 2007 20:13
  • MAY001
The theory is good but I don't think the movie conveyed the idea correctly and throughly. The plot of the movie is really strange, especially the female general in the movie. I think it's totally useless to use such a role. This movie should be like Saving Private Ryan or Schindler's List. But it's now just an ordinary one.
Feb 12, 2007 22:17
  • MELODYCHOW
Whenever something becomes a product, it will ineluctablely be immersed into a commercial manipulation and sensationalization. Many Chinese blockbusters these years like 'House of Flying Daggers' and 'Promise' all make the audiences disappointed but they earned a high box office. Useless part (like Zhang Ziyi acted in the House of Flying Daggers) is usually added to strengthen the dramatics of the movie and create a celebrity charm. All works for profit. However, we just watch it for fun,relaxing ourselves,and only need to know what kind of idea it wants to deliver. That's enough.

The Saving Private Ryan and Schindler's List are really excellent movies, I really like them. But our homemade movies always can not be like that due to the lack of huge investment and some other objective factors. It's indeed a long way to go for the development of Chinese cinematic industry.
Feb 13, 2007 19:03
  • MAY001
Well, Melody, I don't think huge investment can solve everything. The fact is that Chinese movie makers are not good at telling the story. Or we can say that they don't know how to tell the story at all. What they can show is only the visual effection.
Feb 13, 2007 20:17
  • MELODYCHOW
Yes,exactly. They only pursue visual effection and take it for granted that this is the way they put for making connection with the international tracks. And always make audiences so puzzled about the whole movie....Anyway, what I want to carry forward to Chinese,westerners, even the whole world, is Mozi's thougth on PEACE. Here are some of the classical actors' lines in the movie which make us thought-provoked for long:

Don't you want to see more people passing on Mozi's thought of peace?

Those who know how to defend a city cannot bring peace to the world. Peace lies on the kings of all nations.

Those you'd defeated before, will they accept your help?

Frankly speaking, I'm never sure whether those people I had helped really appreciate what I've done for them.

I believe universal love is the only path towards peace. Nothing is perfect. I just want no regrets in my life.

Mozi's universal love is loving everyone that means you don't know whom you should love.

Let someone I love know that I'm safe.
Mar 6, 2007 01:21
  • JOHNNY512
Good movie
worthy to see
Post a Reply to: A Battle of Wits
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code