Menu
Chinese Women Questions
Feb 13, 2007 12:42
  • JRONGIRL
Hello everyone!

My name is Jocelynn and I live in Miami, Florida US. I’m also a Journalism student attending Florida International University and for one of my classes we are starting a news website created by us. I am trying to write an article about Chinese women, especially young girls coming out of school, and I was just wondering if anyone here would be able to help me answer some general questions I have.

Some people think that young women over there have a lot of pressure in becoming successful or independent of their families because of traditions. I know that the city is different, but that inside suburbs there’s still a strong sense of a patriarchal society and that is not easy for young girls to go about doing what they want. What do you think of this? Is it true?

Also, what’s up with having to be married? I don’t understand the importance of marriage over there but I find that a lot of Chinese women only concentrate on getting a husband before they are 30 years old. Besides, I've been reading some of the other posts and their education might affect their chances of finding a husband... so does that fact might affect a woman in finishing her career? Can someone tell me if many Chinese girls go to college or if the ratio of male-female in College is significantly different?

What are some of the most common careers Chinese women pick? and why?

Is the situation in the suburbs similar to that in the cities or completely different? Are girls in the suburbs more or less independent? If you are a Chinese woman living in the countryside, do you want to move to the city? How about from the city to the countryside?

What do you guys think about the Beijing Cultural Development Center for Rural Women? I found about this center online and it helps the injustices that according to them, many Chinese girls in the suburbs experience, especially when it comes to inequality and pressures to uphold old Chinese traditions. Do you guys think there is anything being done to either maintain or change those traditions?

If you are able to answer ANY of my questions I would be forever grateful. Is really hard writing an informed article when all my subjects live in a different time-zone, no mentioning the distance ;)

If you don't feel like answering this here, my email address is: fiu.edu|jron001 or hotmail.com|truxy25. And if you guys want to chat, I have MSN!

Thanks for all your help,
Best Regards

Jocelynn Ron

Feb 13, 2007 20:10
  • CONNY129
Hi,Jocelynn;
my answer to your first question is : not only women but also men have a lot of pressure in becoming successful, everyone has to make his/her best to achieve their career success,Chinese women are freedwoman from the feudality for more than half a century, I believe that most of the Chinese women especially young girls are independent and educated,the ratio of young male-female in society is 1.3 :1, that is to say,it is not women's problem to find a husband,but men's problem :P
Feb 13, 2007 22:00
  • ROGERINCA
Jocelynn,

Just one point of information/perspective, that jumped out at me as I read you post, as well as a couple of other thoughts…..

In China, the term “suburb” is not as we [view] it here in the USA.

The predominant division would be City/Urban vs. Rural/Countryside. Approx. two thirds of the population reside in the countryside-rural area. The remainder in what would be classified as the large cities/urban areas.

While it is true that there are some areas that could be referred to as (suburban) suburbs of the main city, e.g., Huadu District or Panyu District of Guangzhou, these suburbs/suburban areas are more of an [extension] of the main city, and do not have a distinct socio/economic differential as would the terms rural vs. city/urban.

Last, please keep in mind, just as those who have never spent some real time in America, may harbor false stereotypes about the USA, many of which are created by their only window to our country, that of Hollywood-DVD’s- movies, TV and profit driven western news media etc; there are also many stereotypes with respect to the way many Americans view China, which also may not be so true, and which may be perpetuated by the same mass profit driven and sometimes biased media. This is why travel and on the ground/first hand experience, is so important, to truly capture the essence of another culture. Moreover, you might also want to get the female perspective from not only the Chinese females in this community, but also some of the more active non-Chinese female members, who may or may not be American. I can think of two or three, or more, very intelligent women here who have spent much time, on the ground in both the rural and urban settings. Further, please know, any perspective you receive from member Conny, will be very thoughtful and accurate !! :)

Yes, Joc' I am a proud American; but I love and care about China so very much. Some of my best friends and kindest, most wonderful people I know, live in China. My life has been forever changed by China.
Feb 14, 2007 02:11
  • CONNY129
"What are some of the most common careers Chinese women pick? and why?
"
wow~ it might the most difficult question to answer, u can find Chinese women work in every occupation,but I find that most part of nurses are women,probably because women are more careful and considerated than men :P
Feb 14, 2007 02:28
  • ELLEN77
Hi Jocelynn, I'm just a kind of the girl as you mentioned. I think that young girls would think about to be independent from their families, at the age of 10s-20s, the most. but when they stayed in the distant land for a time, they would think of coming back to find a place nearer to their home. I'm just the kind of girl who were eager to go out when entering university and to work near home.
And girls in the countryside are mostly more independent than those in the downtown area, so are the boys.
I find girls are acturally difficlut to find a job than boys. And the desirable jobs for the girls are the teacher, the doctor, the editor, the coordinator in public relations generally.
Feb 14, 2007 14:50
  • JRONGIRL
Hey guys, thanks for answering some my questions :)

Rogerinca (I'm thinking it might be just Roger ;) thanks for the tip. I admit that most of what I know about China comes from outside sources, since I've never been there, but I also know a lot of people who have and they all tell me a different story, which is why I'm kind of confused about a lot of stuff. But I'm hoping I can get to visit China one day after I graduate, since I'm very interested in their culture and I want to see for myself a lot of the things I hear about but can't make out. But as for right now, I guess part of the challenge is writing a compelling article without having the on-hand experience... sort of venturing into the unknown. I'll keep in mind the difference between suburbs and the rural area.

Conny, thanks again for answering. I do wonder though, if you say that the ratio is 1.3: 1 don't you think that there's more competition between girls to get husbands or boyfriends because there are so many to choose from? Or is it that boys have the pressure of finding a wife out of so many sooner than later? I wonder about that, because over here in America it seems like we have way more women than men and all the good ones are always either taken or gay ;)

Ellen! Thanks also for answering. Your answer made me ask many more questions though ;) When you say "distant land" are you refering to the city? If you are, why do you call it the "distant land"? And when you say that they might come back to be nearer their home... do you mean the girl's family or the family of the guy they married?

Here's another questions... to go to University, do you have to move to the big cities? And how come girls find it more hard to find jobs? What to women do if they are not able to go to University?

Thanks a lot again :)
Feb 14, 2007 19:29
  • ELLEN77
Hi jrongirl , you're so smart boy, I haven't thought my answer arousing such a basket of questions from you. But I'm glad my information gain interest from you anyway.
The DISTANT land I say is just a place that is far away from his home, how far or whether it is a city or not do not matter as much. However, most yound people tend to go to large cities, for there are more opportunities for their development. But in recent years, there are also another hot after the Chinese policy of 'western Development'. Many graduates, especially those in the cities, tend to go to the western poor countrysides to patronize the local education, ecnomy, etc. A Chinese university student named XU BEN YU is just an example, who has been valued as an outstanding person of 2004 'MOVE CHINA'. I also think they are an excellent group of people.
The NEARER Place I just want say is my home, for me. :). But if one has a boyfriend, the situation is different. I would prefer it is nearer to both homes. If not possible, any of them is ok.
God Knows why girls are difficlult to find a job! I also find it ridiculous. If you have the answer, you can tell me. I just feel it unjustified.
For both women and men, I think they have more than one choices if they can't go to University.
1. Continuing to apply for the examnination if they have failed
2. Seek a job in the city (they tend to go to the south China mostly, and generally Guangdong Province) and do the manufacturing jobs mostly.
3. go to another technical school to train and gain a skill first.
4. Stay at home. For countyside women, they may do the farming, retail selling, waitress.
Feb 14, 2007 19:29
  • JIMMYB
I'm not a girl but I sitll want to say sth. Ok? Not only girls are pressured but also boys. Chinese people are all in great competition cos our huge population... People in countryside are less lucky cos most of them are poor and their schools are also poor.

Image that two students in the same age: one is in Beijing/Shanghai or any big city where he/she can learn a lot from outside world and have enough money to go to good schools and pay for tutors, etc. Another one is in a rural area where he/she has little money to pay for education. What will happened to them?

O, sorry, my topic is far away from yours. Forgive me, please.
Feb 27, 2007 19:47
  • PEA28COCK
1.to go to University, do you have to move to the big cities?
You have to move to the city where your university is.

2.how come girls find it more hard to find jobs?
Boys are more preferable to bosses cos boys are stronger. Women are easier to be tired, true? Also cos boys DO NOT have to give birth to babies. In China, bosses should not dismiss pregnant women. Pregnant women can enjoy a long holiday and get paid from the boss during this time. This causes great inconvenience to the company. Also, men are more likely to be dedicated to their jobs. Women concentrate more on their family.

3.What to women do if they are not able to go to University?
They work early and get married early.
Feb 28, 2007 11:20
  • LIONPOWER
Ellen77,
Got a real answer- Why the girls in Guangdong Province, specially in Shenzhen?
Feb 28, 2007 18:49
  • CHRISTINE
  • Community Moderator
No, I don't think they go necessarily to Guangdong! Many large or modern cities are favored, including these in the Yangtzeriver Delta, Pearl River Delta and some big cities near their home.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Chinese Women Questions
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code