Menu
Where are the PIGS?
Feb 17, 2007 10:19
  • CHYNAGYRL
I heard that Beijing city is not displaying any pigs for Chinese New Year. What do you think of this? I know it's for cultural sensitivity but most Chinese people still follow the animal-year system to my knowledge.

I really like pigs (the soft, pink kind with a curly tail and goes oink oink). And they have traditionally been a symbol of prosperity. I think it's kind of sad they've been banned...
Feb 17, 2007 14:25
  • ROGERINCA
Hmmmmm ?? We were talking about this subject in another thread here a couple of weeks ago.

In America, most restaurants and other advertising, including calendars, are referencing it as the year of the "Boar" !!

Maybe in today's world, the Pig is not an icon that everyone feels comfort with ??

Feb 18, 2007 07:58
  • APAULT
I was wondering how the Muslim Chinese feel about a year of the Pig? But otherwise, what's the issue with pigs, how is 'boar' better??
Feb 18, 2007 21:42
  • CHYNAGYRL
A boar is just a pig with an attitude.
Feb 24, 2007 21:14
  • GURTY
To me, the icon, figurines and toys in a pig shape are very lovely.
Mar 8, 2007 23:49
  • GRIZ326
Who started this anti-pig movement and why?

Is this evidence of political correctness influencing Chinese culture?

Mar 9, 2007 20:06
  • CHRISWAUGHBJ
I believe it was the State Administration of Radio Film and Television (SARFT), or maybe it was just China Central Television (CCTV), but somebody decided to ban advertising featuring pigs so as not to offend China's large muslim population. After I heard about this ban, I saw ads with pigs on some regional TV stations, so I don't know how effective any ban will be.
Mar 11, 2007 19:45
  • GRIZ326
I just hope this was a decision made by the Chinese for Chinese reasons and not the result of political pressure from external forces.

Consider another timely decision, the decision to ban personal fireworks displays for the New Year celebrations is sad based on tradition, but eminiently reasonable based on injuries and such. Sad for traditionalists though...
Mar 11, 2007 20:09
  • MAY001
Absolutely have no idea about this 'ban'. I can see pig's icon everywhere in Xi'an. There's even a ad of KFC talking about their new product; Pork barbecue.
Mar 11, 2007 23:52
  • CHRISWAUGHBJ
I don't know anything about the ban, either. I just heard that tv ads featuring pigs were banned to avoid offending China's muslims. I don't watch much tv, but my wife does, so I kind of see a bit of it, and I've seen ads with pigs, so I really don't know how much truth there is to the story.

Griz, based on my experience of China, I would say there's no way they'd bow to any external pressure. I'm sure that if there is such a ban, it comes from inside China for China's own reasons. And my impression is the fireworks ban is lightening up, so don't worry too much. Here in Beijing they even closed off certain streets to traffic around midnight of Spring Festival so people could blow stuff up without getting run over.
Post a Reply to: Where are the PIGS?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code