Menu
Booking China domestic transportation
Feb 18, 2007 09:43
  • SKIBUM80488
We are two couples hoping to save some money by waiting until we reach Beijing to purchase other transportation like: (1) an overnight, soft-sleeper train from Beijing to Xian, (2) an overnight, soft-sleeper train from Xian to Chongqing, (3) a Yangtze cruise from Chongqing to Wuhan and (4) a plane from Wuhan to Shanghai.

In particular, the flight to Shanghai is on Saturday afternoon, April 28 which seems to be just at the start of a "Golden Week". Is April 28 a problem traveling in China and will tickets still be available if I wait until April 18 to book them in Beijing?

Also, we are thinking of Regal China cruise line largely because it seems nice, goes on our dates and goes all the way to Wuhan. Will we be OK waiting until April 18 to book a cruise in Beijing or should we book earlier on the internet or should we wait until we get to Chongqing and try to book the day of the cruise?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Feb 21, 2007 04:46
  • CHRISTINE
  • Community Moderator
(1) an overnight, soft-sleeper train from Beijing to Xian, (2) an overnight, soft-sleeper train from Xian to Chongqing, (3) a Yangtze cruise from Chongqing to Wuhan and (4) a plane from Wuhan to Shanghai.

All the means are available but a Yangtze Cruise can just arrive at Moping in Yichang City now. You will be transferred to Wuhan by an five-hour coach ride.
Feb 22, 2007 11:35
  • SKIBUM80488
Thanks, Christine. 5-Hour bus ride is good information. I'll need to change my plan to a later flight allow time to get to Wuhan airport.
Feb 25, 2007 05:49
  • JEFFYANG
travel by train is beeter ,more afety.
i can help you to get the ticket rom xi'an to chong qaing overnight,whie you have to book them in advance.
please ask me free if you have anyquestion for Xi'an
Jeff
163.com|zyq981125
Mar 3, 2007 00:10
  • JABAROOTOO
Remember the cruise will be shorter than the advertised number of days if you are going to be transferred by bus. Funny about that because they are still advertising through to Wuhan. I'm booking a cruise for a freind of mine in the next week or so and will let you know what I can about.

Also be sure and ask for the side trip to Shennong Xi instead of Lessor Three Gorges as this is far more interesting. You should be able to book all your flights online now using E-tickets. Use the new TCG link. the prices will be the going rates and shoul include any discounting. You can leave it as late as you like.

28th April flights should still be cheaper but don't leave it too late to buy the tickets as a lot of peopledo get the chance to leave before the rush begins.
Mar 3, 2007 00:30
  • JABAROOTOO
Other option is to just finish the cruise in Yichang and fly to Shanghai from there. Book all your train tickets when you arrive in Beijing and you should have no problems. It's easier now to make advance bookings.
Mar 4, 2007 07:24
  • APAULT
I dont think you wil save money on train tickets by buying them in China rather than your home country. Flights can be cheaper bought internally.
Mar 4, 2007 09:32
  • SKIBUM80488
Thanks everyone for your help. It's VERY much appreciated.

I have already made a few changes based on your input. I am now planning on China Regal Cruise Line because it advertises to go all the way to Wuhan thus making my connection to airport easy. China Regal sails on morning of April 25 so I moved travel plans up a day to arrive in CQ on the on 24th to spend the nite on the boat before departure the next day. Best quoted price for this cruise on the internet is $360 per person so I'm planning to wait until Beijing on April 17 to book this hoping to save a few bucks.
This means I depart cruise in Wuhan on Friday April 27 with plan to fly to Shanghai that nite. I'm planning to book this flight in Beijing on April 17 also. Is 10 days early enough to be confident of getting 4 seats on this plane on the Friday before May 1 Golden Week?

Thanks again everyone. You have been most helpful and I really appreciate it!
Mar 5, 2007 09:07
  • YINMEI
For one thing,the updated info is no boat can pass through the three gorges dam gates right now,because the gates are still under construction.The passenger can only transfer the bus from Yichang to Wuhan about 4.5 hours.For more info,please contact yahoo.com.cn|jimmy_yj88
Post a Reply to: Booking China domestic transportation
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code