Menu
Question about visa application
Feb 18, 2007 20:36
  • FINGAZ1984
Im an Australian citizen and im going to go to China for around 3 and a half months. The first 6 weeks or so ill be studying mandarin in Beijing, and the last 4 weeks im doing an organised overland trip from Xian to Kathmandu and in between time i just want to decide where I feel like going at the time, ie the usual backpackers approach, not planning more than a couple of days in advance. I just wasnt what to put down for my 'Cities/provinces to visit' section on the visa application, and also the 'Name, Address and phone no. of organization or person to be visited in China' section.

Will I run into any problems if I only give them the initial (Beijing) Address?
Feb 20, 2007 09:56
  • APAULT
It shouldn't be a problem to give just one addresss but you can also look up some hotel names from this website !!

On a standard tourist visa the max stay is 3 months and normally after that you must leave mainland China. If you have a different class visa as a student in the beginning ( I know nothing about this) watch out when you apply for a tourist visa afterwards - you might not get more than 2 weeks...based on what happens to teachers on Z visas. Anyway, for either situation you can exit the country and apply for another visa...Hong Kong is the easiest (or stay in Macau and it comes from HK), except that you will be in the north!
Mar 1, 2007 20:55
  • FINGAZ1984
I thought it was possible for anyone to apply for a 6 month visa (theres an option for it on the application)? Or is this only for people on more official visits?
Mar 2, 2007 06:12
  • APAULT
Yes, I see it on the form, but I m still not convinced it will be possible, it might be for special categories only...so either phone the consulate in Sydney within the limited hours, morning I think, or go to a travel agent and ask. I was quoted $40 today or the agent to handle the visa application for me, I am sure it was only $25 at a Chinese agent a year ago.
Mar 2, 2007 23:47
  • JABAROOTOO
You can apply for a longer than three months tourist visa but may not get it. (I know of some who have but.....) but why not apply for a six month student visa since this is essentially what you are doing.

It is not at all necessary to give hotel names and addresses. Just make a rough list of the itinerary you are considering and include your planned arrival and departure dates. Things are changing here all the time and there are so many different personal experiences.

Just for your interest. I also am an OZ citizen. My mother came to visit me a few years ago and renewed her tourist visa twice without leaving the country during her five month stay. She really only needed to have done it once but we both had to apply for re-entry permits for a visit to Macau.

Things have now changed and this is no longer necessary for me either. I can come and go as I please while I have a current residency permit.
Mar 4, 2007 07:03
  • APAULT
On the Australian Chinese Embassy/Consulate website it says the maximum tourist or business visa (F) visa is 60 days, However in the notes on another page it says the maximum is 3 months with a single 1 month extension available inside China.

The downloadable visa application form makes no mention of how long you want the visa for, instead it asks how long you plan to stay.
May 6, 2007 11:36
  • JABAROOTOO
So Gaz,

How did your visa application etc pan out? Interested in some feedback if you have the time.
Jun 27, 2007 23:32
  • CHINAUK
JABAROOTOO - When you say: "It is not at all necessary to give hotel names and addresses. Just make a rough list of the itinerary you are considering and include your planned arrival and departure dates." - Can we just leave that section blank then? Also I plan to stay with a friends in different parts of China - should I not write their addresses? Thanks.
Jul 1, 2007 01:09
  • APAULT
You should write in some cities at least. You should not give provate addresses as staying with friends is still technically not permitted - but no-one is checking once u r here.
Post a Reply to: Question about visa application
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code