Menu
How much am I looking at?
Feb 20, 2007 22:19
  • HITURA
Hi,

I am intereted in tour guides or personal tour guides, but I need an idea how much it will cost on average (standard rate).
I have been quoted by someone as a personal tour guide for $50US/day PLUS I have to pay for all expenses, which includes food, travel, any fee associated with site seeing, accommodation, etc. I think that is a bit expensive. Just wondering how much is the market rate?
I am hoping to spend less than what I have been quoted.

Steve
Feb 21, 2007 10:31
  • LIONPOWER
It’s depends up on your choice. Average Standard not less than USD 100 per day (total). USD 200 is better estimate (Except Air freight) per day. But there are ways to run with in USD 50 per day (Total).
Feb 21, 2007 21:16
  • ROGERINCA
Hello Steve,

I think the market rate and what is fair, are what the two parties agree to !!

However, I would not want to pay that much money ($50.00) each day, in addition to the expenses.

If you look, I think you can find someone who will do the job for you and will be affordable too.

I found a young, recent University grad, who had majored in English. She asked for $15.00 each day, plus her taxi fare and meals. I was referred to her by a man I knew, who had used her when he visited his fiancée, in Nanning and Guangzhou. In the end, I was so pleased with her professional demeanor and great service with getting things accomplished and always at a good price, that I paid her $25.00 each day, plus the expenses. When you think of it, even in low cost China, the meals added an extra $10 to $15 each day. Money that she did not have to spend from her monthly budget.

I used her for 14 days, and she was thrilled to earn 2700 RMB for two weeks of fun work, with meals covered. She would taxi to my hotel at about 9:00 am and we would go all day, and then supper and a tour of the local shopping mall or a movie; then she would drop me off at the hotel at about 7:30 or 8:00pm, and take the same taxi to her home. Her English was quite good, and not only would we tour/sightsee, I would have an opportunity to constantly quiz her on day to day life in China, and questions on culture, people, food, daily interaction, etc. etc. Not only did I see the cities and the countryside, I also educated myself on China. Moreover, she was also happy to be able to practice her English for ten hours each day !!

I did this with the same young woman, on my first two trips to China, about six months apart. She is now married to a man who lives in New York City. We still keep in touch by phone and keep up on each other’s life. It has been a lot of fun. Best wishes !!
Feb 21, 2007 21:36
  • LIONPOWER
Roger always Elaborate and simple terms. Very good writing.
Feb 22, 2007 01:41
  • ROGERINCA
Thank you, again, Sharif !! :)

I think members like those, who are regular TCG Columnists, are the really fine writers !! :)

I am just here to have fun, make some friends, and talk about what a wonderful experience China can be and share all my positive experiences in that regard !!!

Take care !!
Feb 22, 2007 11:07
  • LIONPOWER
TCG Columnists writing as it is their job or duty, but you are devoted. Trying to write, what you have learned so far. We may say, it’s your personal feeling to help others. Long live your devoted soul.
Best wishes.
Feb 23, 2007 10:50
  • APAULT
I have never used a guide, but US$50 is about 500RMB. Young teachers earn 800 to 1000 RMB a MONTH, so the price you have been quoted seems very high unless it is a fully experienced and qualified guide who will take over and manage everything for you. Don't forget that the Chinese approach is to quote a high price and wait for you to bargain. Any time I see a price quoted in US$ (or other foreign currenncy) I realise it is pricing for the unknowing foreigner and prefer to look elsewhere. As Roger says, there are many students who will take you around cheaply - I would suggest 50RMB a day is high but not exhorbitant. Of course they may lack experience and not know the sites and not understand what foreign visitors are looking for.

I think it is normal that you pay all the expenses on top, but again the professional will have arrangements where they get kickbacks, the amateur guides don't. Entrance fees to sites is relatively expenssive typically 50 to 80 RMB, more for places like the Forbidden City. Meals will dpend on where you go, professional guides are likely to choose the best ones ....with the higher prices.

I only use free guides... but theat means I often don't have one and I need plenty of time to work out how to get places etc.
Post a Reply to: How much am I looking at?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code