Menu
Any recommendations for Fenghuang?
Mar 1, 2007 10:31
  • KSWONG
I will be in Fenghuang between March 18 - 24. Any recommendations on the following would be appreciated:
- best budget hotels to stay in
- best sceneries (I am a photographer)
- best places to meet minority tribes
- best villages outside Fenghuang
- best places to meet up with the locals
- best restaurants
- best things to do

Thank you very much!
Mar 2, 2007 08:37
  • JABAROOTOO
It's a small place and everything is pretty easy to find. There are plenty of small guesthouses overlooking the river for just 30/40Yuan per person just between the East gate and the north gate. You will probably get approached before you even get there. There are a lot of cafe's, bars and restaurants on the opposite side of the river but there are so many around the East gate, and the bridge.
If you speak Chinese, then you should have no problems finding out where to go.. Just jump on a few buses heading for the hills. There are plenty of locals in traditional dress selling thier wares around the town and these may be able to give you some good ideas about where to visit.

Don't forget to visit the old section of the 'Southern Great Wall' and beacon towers which are some distance outside the city . Huangsi and it's ancient town, Furong - another ancient town

Dehang with it's gorge, waterfalls and Miao villages and there are caves and rafting not far from town either.

Check out the Batik Art, local candy, Nan Hua and Shen Congwen's residence, Dacheng Palace

And there is probably more but I got most of this from a book we bought about the area. I'm afraid we missed a lot of what is intersting outside the town but it's a great little place to relax, shop and experience something of the ethnic minorities and some different dining experiences.

Have a great time and we look forward to seeing some of your photos later.
Mar 7, 2007 00:55
  • KSWONG
Thank you very much for your helpful advise, jabarootoo. :)
Post a Reply to: Any recommendations for Fenghuang?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code