Menu
Winter heating in the north...
Mar 2, 2007 10:54
  • GRIZ326
I watched CCTV's Travelogue on the lantern festival last night. The host visited a family home and I noticed that everyone was wearing outdoors jackets.

Are homes, schools and offices heated in the winter they way they are in the United States?

If I'm going to teach some where in China next year, I don't want to miscalculate by picking a community where I will turn into the ice cube teacher ;)
Mar 2, 2007 20:09
  • SIVA
  • Community Moderator
Hi Griz,
In north China, most people have heating system in the house during the winter. While in the south, people only can have air-conditioning to work for them. Where are you going to stay in China?
Mar 2, 2007 23:58
  • GRIZ326
I do not know yet.

My trip this summer is to find a place to find a community I enjoy enough to live in and teach. :)
Mar 3, 2007 04:00
  • CHRISWAUGHBJ
Griz, urban north China has regular central heating from November ummmmm..... 15th, I think, until March 15th. Well, those are the official minimum dates (the heat must be on before November 15th and can't be turned on until after March 15th), but depending on where exactly you are living (different schools, universities, housing estates, sometimes turn the heat on earlier or leave it running later) you may get central heating for longer. Of course, if you need it, you can always buy an electric heater from the local supermarket or appliance store to supplement the central heating. And of course, newer buildings tend to be warmer than older ones.

Rural northern China, on the other hand, does not necessarily have much in the way of heat at all. But you're highly unlikely to get a job in the countryside, and if you do, you'll be well taken care of.

You should remember that nowhere in southern China has central heating, just the aircon that Siva mentioned, and that inland and especially at higher altitudes the weather can get very chilly indeed, even as cold as the north sometimes, so if you're worried about the cold, in some ways you're better off coming to north China. At least your house will be warm, even if outside it looks like Antarctica!
Mar 4, 2007 07:37
  • APAULT
Griz, South China starts at the Yangtse but it still has bloody freezing winters up there and no heating. I have heard of teachers teaching in gloves and scarves and overcoats. I cannot live that way. friends in their own units in Shanghai chatting to me on the Net go to bed at 8 or 9pm because it is so cold. I agree with Chris W, if you go north of the Yangtse you are mostly Ok in real winter, but its cold indoors in Autumn and Spring. You can indeed heat your own unit in these periods, but the school itself will be cold.

Otherwise go to the far south and it is cool/mild in winter, but even so I would need a heater! And in the first month (Sept) it can be VERY hot, upper 30's.
Mar 4, 2007 11:16
  • GRIZ326
I live in Montana and have suitable clothing for the cold, but when I am relaxing, I like to wear just my skivvies. I could not do that without a warm place to stay.
Mar 5, 2007 00:49
  • CHRISWAUGHBJ
Griz, you'll have no problem in north China in the winter.
Post a Reply to: Winter heating in the north...
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code