Menu
Lone female traveler to Chengdu, Tibet, and YunNan...Is it safe?
Mar 3, 2007 10:40
  • KINIRA
Hi, I am a 24 yr old student from Texas, USA. I am planning to travel to Beijing, Si'an, Chengdu, Tibet, Yunnan, Guilin, Guangzhou, and Hong Kong this May-June.
Is it safe to be a lone female traveler?
If I stay in a mixed-dorm in a hostel, should I worry about having unruly roommates? or should I just get a private room to begin with?
If I leave my luggage in hostel so I can tour the city, do I have to worry about having my stuff stolen?
Since this is my first time traveling there, should I book tours from travel agencies to go to Tibet and Yunnan beforehand, or should I just go to Chengdu and see how I can go from there?
Thanks!!
Mar 3, 2007 11:14
  • LIONPOWER
No problem to travel. Teen age Chinese girls are traveling alone. Take care as you foreigner.

If you ignore about Chinese language, keep Business cards of the places which you have visited to return back to your destination showing these cards.
Keep a calculator for bargaining.
Keep some dry food and water with you.

Try to stay the Hotels registered by Chinese Govt.
Why you thinking for “mixed-dorm”? Hotel rent very cheap in China. So better to stay in private room, may be single bed, or multiple bed. Yes, your friends may stay with you. No problem.
Mar 3, 2007 12:09
  • GRIZ326
China alone at 24 is pretty ambitious. Can you take care of yourself in a dangerous American city? Have you traveled the States? Have you traveled aboard alone before? What I am really asking you to assess are your instincts. Are you naive? Do you have frequent "blonde moments?" Partying in bars is risky business. You must keep your wits about you. The ability to see danger before it strikes is very important.

Traveling as an American outside of the United States today is more dangerous than at any time in my traveler's memory.

When I first visited China in 1978 the only crime mentioned in the pre-shore leave briefing was RAPE. The ship was on a diplomatic mission and so even the seamen got the high-end low-down; there were 7 women on board. There is much more crime in China today than there was then. There is far less crime in China than in the safest American communities. ...but as a traveling foreigner, you are expected to be carrying money, trinkets, gadgets and general good stuff - so you are a target - don't forget that for a moment.

Take responsibility for your own safety and you will have a safe and successful trip.
Mar 3, 2007 22:15
  • CHRISWAUGHBJ
Travelling in China is no longer ambitious. Really. The world has moved on from 1978. And yes, there is more crime these days, but generally those of us who are obviously foreign are pretty safe. If you look Chinese you may need to be a little more careful.

Having said that, keep your wits about you and don't do anything you wouldn't do at home. Check out hostels and hotels carefully, don't leave your valuables unattended (unless you have access to secure storage), make sure loved ones and trusted friends know where you are, register with the embassy or nearest diplomatic mission, you know, the usual smart traveller stuff. I wouldn't advise a mixed dorm, but I'm sure you'll be able to find single-sex dorms or affordable private rooms.

I would advise against booking tours through travel agencies. You'd be surprised how easy independent travel is in China. But you may need to go through an agency to get to Tibet (that irritating little travel permit is still technically required, but you may be able to get a friendly local to help you get around that). Just remember that some parts of China are still closed or restricted to foreigners.

And do plenty of research beforehand. Make sure you know where you want to go and how to get there, what to watch out for, etc. Fore-warned is fore-armed.

My point: Relax, it's easier than you think. Just remember to travel smart.
Mar 3, 2007 23:20
  • CALIFORNIA
Hi,Kinira,

Welcome to China:-)

I think it's no problem for you travel alone in China.But Take good care yourself!!!You know,every country has theives.Most chinese are very friendly,they love helping the others,especially the foreingers.

You can live in a mixed-room in the youth hostel,I lived with two german girls,one swedish boy and one spanish boy when I travelled in Xi'an,it was nice feeling.If you worried about sth,you can ask for a girls room.

Good luck!!!
Mar 4, 2007 04:15
Hi, if you need help in Beijing, Xi'an, Chengdu and Shanghai,just mail to me and welcome surf my blog http://frankcheninchina.bokee.com
Mar 4, 2007 07:22
  • JABAROOTOO
Hi Kinira,
All good advice for you above. There are many of us foreign women of all ages travelling solo in China and it is generally pretty safe but.... as recently as two weeks ago I was the a target of a street pick pocket in a small city where few foreigners venture. I am pleased to report that I survived without the loss of anything but I let my guard down momentarily.

You have to keep your wits about you all the time, it is safe to leave your bags in hostels and bus station luggage rooms, your valuables in hotel/hostel safe deposits if they are available. Most hostels offer same sex dorms so this should not be an issue and it is possilbe to get some cheap private rooms.

One of the things that taxes you mentally is communication in this different language, both foreign in sight and sound. There are times when you may feel both physically and mentally exhausted and this is when it becomes dangerous.

Make your Tibet arrangements from Chengdu when you get there and you can do some travelling around there while waiting for permits etc to be processed for you. It is possible to travel there on your own once you have the papers.

That said China is challenging, interesting and fun place to travel and much safer than many other countries.
Mar 5, 2007 09:00
  • KINIRA
Thank you everyone for your advises. I have traveled alone in Taiwan and the US before so I kind of have some experience. I am just hearing all sorts of things about thieves and con men in China so I want to be cautious. I am doing lots of research about my trip right now, and I will definitely try to keep myself safe!
Mar 5, 2007 11:13
  • LIONPOWER
Bravo
Post a Reply to: Lone female traveler to Chengdu, Tibet, and YunNan...Is it safe?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code