Menu
Living with the sound of WAR
Mar 4, 2007 08:02
  • JABAROOTOO
I'm not sure if this is the final night of Chinese Spring Festival - Lantern Festival ????

but the 'sounds of war' are ranging all around the city as

INCOMMING MORTAR ROCKETS - whistling sky rockets

AUTOMATIC GUN FIRE - Two meter 'penny' bungers popping

HAND GRENADES - Single blast flares and other fizzers

fill the air and night sky with smoke and constant noise that to someone just dropping in may well wonder if they have dropped into a 'war zone'.

Friends of mine in an up-market residential complex had a window smashed and curtains burnt by a 'wayward' rocket one evening.

I hear tell that this will be the last year of 'wild abandon' as the use for fireworks will be banned through out the country next year.

Can anyone confirm this.

Tonight in Chongqing it will be hard to get a good nights sleep.

What is it like in your city??

Mar 4, 2007 08:35
  • LOVEISVERB
Yup, living with the sound of WAR, but without the fear of the WAR, only festal atmosphere, how nice!
The country is happy now.
I don't think it will be abondoned completely, it's against the tradition, people like it. There are accidents every year, but people still like it.
Mar 4, 2007 21:23
  • GURTY
Really night when we find it difficult to sleep. They still tseemed to be competing when twelve o'clock is approaching. The last day of the Spring Festival is a crazy day.
Mar 5, 2007 00:34
  • CHRISWAUGHBJ
Well, I've never heard of any attempt at a national ban of fireworks, and I have to agree that it simply wouldn't work. Beijing banned fireworks within the fifth ring road for 12 years, but had to give up in 2006 because the ban was completely ineffective. Still, I have to say, the casualty rate from the last 15 days of highly explosive wild abandon seems to be remarkably low considering the size of Beijing's population.
Mar 5, 2007 02:18
In my city, fireworks exploded everywhere last night. Though they bring me a festive mood, I was deeply frightened. Later, I rushed through the streets to avoid fireworks and hide in my house.

The most frightening thing is that shop owners put fireworks in piles in front of their shops to attract passerbys. After buying some, customers light the fireworks directly around the piles. It is too dangerous.
Post a Reply to: Living with the sound of WAR
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code